Metallic front end rattle issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jtnuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might check with another dealer about the raptor edition aspect. It would be dumb for ford to make just the raptor front axles to spin in 2wd. Im sure ford wants the raptor to get any advantage on fuel economy also. Im not buying that from the dealer.

Davidryan1987

Reaction score
I might check with another dealer about the raptor edition aspect. It would be dumb for ford to make just the raptor front axles to spin in 2wd. Im sure ford wants the raptor to get any advantage on fuel economy also. Im not buying that from the dealer.

Yea thoult the same thing but they tell me that.

Does anyones raptor on this thread axels not spin in 2wd? All the videos I have watched all of them spin. I'm sure someone smarter than me will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 AM ----------

If I turn truck on in 2wd I can spin the axels by hand if that means anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jtnuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recall ford years ago going to the no spin front axles. They might have changed something along the way and did not inform us. Keep us posted.

Davidryan1987

Reaction score
I recall ford years ago going to the no spin front axles. They might have changed something along the way and did not inform us. Keep us posted.

Found This Today. Looks Like Raptor Has New Transfer Case?

In the company’s quest to deliver supreme off-road performance and capability in the all-new F-150 Raptor without compromising daily drivability on-road, Ford deployed a new, cutting-edge transfer case capable of operating in either a clutch-based AWD mode or a mechanically-linked 4WD one, depending upon the whims of the driver.

Typically, four-wheel-drive systems are one-or-the-other: that is, the truck’s transfer case is equipped with either a hard mechanical coupler that locks the front axle to the transmission output, or a clutch-based one that allows for some slip. It would be ill-advised to use the former type on high-traction paved surfaces, as it can lead to driveline-binding and component damage.

The Ford F-150 Raptor’s transfer case incorporates both: a clutch system for on-road use, and an electronically-locking system for off-road. Use the F-150 Raptor’s Terrain Management System to set the truck to either “Sport” or “Weather,” and the transfer case will spin the front axle on-demand using the clutch-based system for either spirited street driving or safe, controlled travel in inclimate conditions. In “Mud/Sand”, “Baja”, or “Rock Crawl” mode, the transfer unit calls upon the electronic locker to deliver superior off-road performance. The latter mode also switches the case into low-range mode.

Notably, drivers can also tailor the 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor’s Terrain modes as they see fit, switching between 2-high (RWD), 4-auto (clutch), 4-high (locked), and 4-low (locked) with a dash knob.

“Raptor’s transfer case provides the best of both worlds, with the natural benefits from all-wheel drive, such as increased traction in rain and snow, as well as extreme off-road capability that comes with a mechanically locked system,” says Ford F-150 Program Manager Tony Greco.

Stay tuned for our full review of the all-new, 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor.

Read more: Inside The F-150 Raptor's Unique Transfer Case|Ford Authority

Inside The F-150 Raptor's Unique Transfer Case|Ford Authority

cmacclel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has the same metallic clanky noise when I hit bumps but I swear if I'm on the brakes I don't hear the noise. Anyone find the fix? Highly doubt it's vacuum issue as I'm never on the gas when it makes the noise. Also a friend has one and he said he hears the same noise sometimes I chalked it up as normal. My truck has been doing this since new I only have 3k miles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZaneMasterX

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dealer just called me, they are putting a new shock up front to see if that does it. I highly doubt it will fix it. Its probably something as simple as the brake pads rattling around lol. We shall see.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the axles should not spin in 2wd, regardless of what the dealer is telling you. when the truck is shut off, the iwe's will engage and lock the axles to the hub, so if you are trying to turn the wheels with the truck off, the axles will spin. the design has not changed between gen1/gen2. yes, the raptor has a unique transfer case, but the IWE operation is the same throughout all the F150 models.

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

also, the noise i hear in your video, sounds exactly like the noise i have in my 2012.. haven't been able to lock it down but haven't spent much time looking for it either..

mine can be duplicated by hitting the tire with a 5lb sledge

OP
OP
ZaneMasterX

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got my truck back and the rattle seems to be gone.

They replaced the front left strut (completely new shock assembly) and all new bushing on that side.

I also informed them of the IWE engagement issue and found the check valve was bad so they changed that out as well.

They tore that side apart, cleaned, and inspected everything and everything seems to be nice and tight without the rattle.

Also had them check for a transmission update and did that which makes it shift a lot smoother now.

For now it seems fixed. 100% covered under warranty.

cmacclel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my truck back and the rattle seems to be gone.

They replaced the front left strut (completely new shock assembly) and all new bushing on that side.

I also informed them of the IWE engagement issue and found the check valve was bad so they changed that out as well.

They tore that side apart, cleaned, and inspected everything and everything seems to be nice and tight without the rattle.

Also had them check for a transmission update and did that which makes it shift a lot smoother now.

For now it seems fixed. 100% covered under warranty.

That sucks.......now I have to call the dealer :( Give use a update in a couple weeks please. What's this transmission update?

OP
OP
ZaneMasterX

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That sucks.......now I have to call the dealer :( Give use a update in a couple weeks please. What's this transmission update?

Its an update for some trucks that smooths out the transmission shifting. The only way for them to really see if it needs it is hook it up to the computer. There isnt a TSB about it.