Metallic creaking/raddle at while decelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ledftgen2

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 18 SCREW that when cruising between 30 and 40 mpg and slowing down (both breaking and letting gravity slow me down) makes a creaking or rattle noise. It does it whether im in 4A or 2H and it doesn’t sound like the IWE issue. It is hardly noticeable with the windows up, so it is hard to get a recording of the sound. I plan on spraying everything that moves with some lithium grease, but does anyone else have any ideas? I have a video that you can faintly hear the noise over all the wind noise.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
I have a similar issue, mine does it between 20-25mph. Think I have it narrowed down to needing to tighten screws on front skid plate. Can't hear it with windows up, but does it like crazy when slowing, braking or just coasting down.

OP
OP
ledftgen2

ledftgen2

Reaction score
I have a similar issue, mine does it between 20-25mph. Think I have it narrowed down to needing to tighten screws on front skid plate. Can't hear it with windows up, but does it like crazy when slowing, braking or just coasting down.
Is it like this? The sound right at the beginning

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    7.7 MB

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
Video was only 2 seconds long on playback on my end. I heard some weird sound at 1 second in, but nothing like what I get on my truck. I'll see if I can record it.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
Recorded an 8-second video, but it says it's too large to upload.

Watched it on my phone, but amazingly there is more wind and road noise at 22mph than the actual noise. Can here it just fine by ear with the windows down or even cracked open just a bit.

Sounds like metal plate making a high frequency vibration for a duration of 1-2 seconds at a time. Will check screws on my front skid plate again, don't know what else could be under there that could possibly make that noise.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
Seems to be someone else with a similar sounding issue, wondering if it could be cat core piece rattling around.

OP
OP
ledftgen2

ledftgen2

Reaction score
Turns out I am missing the skid plate that covers the oil plug, but the clips were left on. Took off the clips and now I only have squeaking rear leaf springs.