Metal oil pan and drain plug?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not really - lots of manufacturers are using plastic oil pans.

they shouldnt be.

not in these massive heat and stress applications. its pure stupidity.
ive seen many dudes forced to go metal valve covers after adding a turbo or two because of the heat and heat cycle stress introduced.

its not even a comparison, its just cheaper.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LOL @ all the armchair engineers here. With that said, I am interested to know why Ford made the change and if it is a direct swap.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You know a plastic part is way cheaper than cast aluminum, so for them to switch back to aluminum shows they just could not resolve the leaking with the plastic plans.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You know a plastic part is way cheaper than cast aluminum, so for them to switch back to aluminum shows they just could not resolve the leaking with the plastic plans.

for less money than converting to the new pan.

what will happen now is all the left over plastic parts left in inventory will be used for leaky oil pan warranty claims and that’s probably a pretty substantial inventory. So there was definitely fire from the ‘smoke’ of the users here who reported leaks and extensive wait times for parts.

At least one user reported a pan that broke, I think it might have been a replacement pan too. A few of the reports here indicated the leak was likely due to improper gasket material usage. maybe, maybe not.

A few years ago, Ducati, KTM and a bunch of other motorcycle manufacturers had to eat a truck load of fuel tanks under warranty. They were sourced from Acerbis and worked great in pretty much every market on the planet - except the USA. Our fuel additives caused a warping condition that would deform the plastic. In some cases, some of our states “special” fuel blends caused warping so bad, they expanded to the point they could not be removed from the motorcycle intact. or they warped so bad until they leaked, and on a motorcycle that cause a fire. Ducatis have enough trouble with spontaneous combustion and don’t need help from a bum fuel tank :biggrin:

I wonder if Ford was finding warped oil pans in a similar, albeit less severe set of circumstances.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bought mine mid-March 2018 and it has the new metal oil pan. I was under the impression it sat for several months, which is why I got it for $1500 under MSRP. Since these pans were not used until the end of Feb, mine must be a very recent build.

How do I determine the build date on one I bought off of a dealer lot? VIN, date on window sticker, etc.?