memorial day raffle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nope. i dont do sales. i discount everything as low as i can all the time. instead, i give stuff away. so this memorial day, lets really remember what this day is about. all our fallen military personnel. this time around, im going to do things different. i want you to list a family member or friend who gave the ultimate sacrifice. name (if you dont mind) rank, years in service, and branch. i want everyone to know and acknowledge what your family member or friend did to keep us free. it is important that we keep their memory alive. without them, we wouldnt be here today doing what we want on our own free will. i am in no way taking away from our active military members, you know i will take care of you, but this holiday is to remember the ones who have fallen. if you have a story to tell, please share. i feel a sense of pride when i hear stories of average people doing heroic things. if you dont feel comfortable, you can always pm me. the way i have decided for this to work, is all the members who post a name, will be entered into a raffle. winner of the raffle will receive a donation to the charity of their choice. amount is still to be determined, but i promise you the car stereo company will be giving a token of our appreciation. so for all you out there :patriot:

Last edited:

IronRakMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for doing this Noah. While I don't have any family members that have died fighting for our country, I do have many "Brothers" that I have lost over here. I don't want to be entered in the raffle but I would like to recognize my most recent Brother who died over here. 1LT Brandon James Landrum KIA May 4th 2013. If you want the details of his death you can google his name. I just want everyone to know he was an awesome Husband to Miranda, and a great Dad to Gabriel and Blakely. RIP Brandon, thanks for watching over me and the boys.

Attachments

• brandon.jpg
    brandon.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good stuff Noah. I've been lucky enough to not lose someone close to me. I used to look at honor the fallen everyday but I realized it was making me depressed. Seeing a page with all those faces. I couldn't imagine losing someone like that.

http://projects.militarytimes.com/valor/

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
While my story is not eligible for the raffle, I will tell it anyway, because it is about a battle that a lot of folks haven't ever heard of.

My great-uncle, Lieutenant John Decker, was one of the Marines that landed on Peleliu on September 1944. He was the platoon leader of Company G, 2nd Battalion, 1st Marines and was known as "Deck" to his fellow marines. Fellow Marine, Lieutenant Bruce Watkins (Platoon leader of Company E, 2nd Battalion, 1st Marines), described him this way - "a good friend, a died-in-the-wool Texan, who could tell the tallest stories you ever heard."

Deck was killed by a Japanese grenade the night of September 18th, 1944 on Hill 210 on Bloody Nose Ridge, Peleliu. According to Bruce, it landed near his armpit and he never saw it.

He was awarded the Silver Star for his actions on the assault on Bloody Nose Ridge.

---

I had the pleasure of writing back and forth with Bruce (who later retired from the Marines as a Captain) several times before he passed away last summer. It was from him that I learned more about my uncle and how he died.

---

Here is a little more info on the assault on Peleliu, which had the highest casualty rate for U.S. military personnel of any battle in the Pacific War.
Battle of Peleliu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bruce wrote a book, Brothers in Battle, his website has an excerpt here:
Home

Here are a couple of good books that cover Peleliu:
Hallas, James H. - The Devil's Anvil: The Assault on Peleliu
Sledge, Eugene B. - With the Old Breed: At Peleliu And Okinawa

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Noah, this thread has truly show me & my family how bless we have been. I know my grandfathers - WWI & II, my father – Korea & Vietnam , my uncles – WWII, Korea & Vietnam, my brothers & I – Desert Storm Iraq, my sister-in-law and even my ex-wife Desert Storm-Iraq, Afghanistan. I can’t think of any of them whom loss their life while serving, I have seen their Purple Hearts, and I do recall one of my Great Uncles being a WWII POW, but you can see my family has been extremely Bless. Though, I’m sure somewhere in my family history we have loss some family members, but nobody ever mention it while I was growing up.

I wear patch on my vest that states:
“In Memory of those whom loss their lives in the Services of United States of America”

That folks is what this weekend is about. Thanks Noah for bringing this to forefront.

D

Deleted member 12951

My grandfather fought in WWII with the Navy and my son in the Army has been to Iraq, neither one of them died there . But my most interesting fact is my great (not sure how many greats) grandfather back in the revolutionary war with the British died on Bunker Hill. He is General Joseph Warren and is the general you see laying down. No need to enter contest as I never knew him. :)

ehutegaj.jpg