Mechanic is Stumped - Battery Drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WellingtonB

Reaction score
After reading the existing threads for similar issues, we are nowhere closer to a solution.

2012 SCREW 135K miles

Dead battery every morning (very dead). Replaced with new battery and tested charging system. No problems with either.

Code Pulled = B10F1 (ignition switch short). Mechanic could not start truck with new ignition switch. Will be checking tomorrow to see if it needs some sort of software reset.

Other items already checked and found to be ok (at least this what I was told): gauge cluster, shift solenoid. Initially, they did check all circuits by pulling fuses and thought they found a draw in the gauge cluster. Seems they dismissed that for the moment. They haven’t chased much of anything else as it seems they are focused on the code.

Truck has been at the shop over a week and don’t want it there for months like some of the other members have experience. Any new ideas out there? Obvious stuff we’re missing? Potential recall?

Thanks all!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Found this video, pretty much same as your issue. He mentions you have to reset it. Hoping they fix it.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Does it have a key to start or just a button? If it's a key, then it could be the ignition switch in the steering column. In the old days with keys, they did some weird stuff when they wore out.

OP
OP
WellingtonB

WellingtonB

Reaction score
Found this video, pretty much same as your issue. He mentions you have to reset it. Hoping they fix it.

Looks simple enough. Hoping they can reset the system and be in business.

Does it have a key to start or just a button? If it's a key, then it could be the ignition switch in the steering column. In the old days with keys, they did some weird stuff when they wore out.

Yes, a key.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not certain if this helps with a Gen 1.

I had bad diodes in an alternator in my 93 F250. The battery drained every day. Worked great after I replaced the alternator.

These drain issues are hard to track.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A common battery drain issue on these trucks is the park detect switch. Monitor the gear indicator in the Instrument Cluster (IPC), if the red P is not illuminated in Park, then the IPC is not receiving the park signal from the park detect switch. This causes the IPC to remain powered up indefinitely, which drains the battery.

OP
OP
WellingtonB

WellingtonB

Reaction score
A common battery drain issue on these trucks is the park detect switch. Monitor the gear indicator in the Instrument Cluster (IPC), if the red P is not illuminated in Park, then the IPC is not receiving the park signal from the park detect switch. This causes the IPC to remain powered up indefinitely, which drains the battery.

The "P" does NOT light up in the gauge cluster. No, the mechanic did not check this (although I asked them to while they had it). Went and checked it myself. It was tough. Had two climb into the truck, start it, and use both eyeballs to search for and find the non-existent "P." Did it all on my own and didn't even need a boost into the cab.

I will search for a fix unless someone has good link handy.

Just got the truck back without being fixed. Going to keep fuse #11 out until I can figure this out. May have to do it on my own as the mechanic is stumped. I am fairly mechanical, but with busy work schedule and a toddler - I have zero time for this.

OP
OP
WellingtonB

WellingtonB

Reaction score