Max power output safely??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

myersroofer614

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have JLT, sct BDX, no cats, Roush exhaust, sb air cleaner, looking at procharger variable boost... How many psi safely as max? Plan on 6, 8, max..
Eventually heads n cam. But drivetrain Max power?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is no “safe” PSI on a factory N/A engine. It’s a matter of how many precautions have been taken in terms of preventative upgrades, tuning, fuel quality, and the manner in which it’s driven. Pre-ignition, especially at high load/low engine speed, can crack a ring land or put a rod through the block the first time it happens.

As far as Heads and cam, they essentially do nothing on 6.2. In one of the more popular threads on here people actually lost power and driveability after “upgrading” the heads and cam. It’s limited by the factory design.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have JLT, sct BDX, no cats, Roush exhaust, sb air cleaner, looking at procharger variable boost... How many psi safely as max? Plan on 6, 8, max..

despite the haters, theres been many folks with great hp numbers, that have put many many reliable miles on the stock 6.2L engine. not too sure about the procharger, but whipple has always been the gold standard for the 6.2L.. anything can happen to any engine that isnt tuned properly, and he's right theres no magic boost number thats going to blow it up. best bet is to get it to a reputable tuner and get all the EGT and AFR numbers right on a dyno..

OP
OP
myersroofer614

myersroofer614

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There is no “safe” PSI on a factory N/A engine. It’s a matter of how many precautions have been taken in terms of preventative upgrades, tuning, fuel quality, and the manner in which it’s driven. Pre-ignition, especially at high load/low engine speed, can crack a ring land or put a rod through the block the first time it happens.

As far as Heads and cam, they essentially do nothing on 6.2. In one of the more popular threads on here people actually lost power and driveability after “upgrading” the heads and cam. It’s limited by the factory design.
Thank you, Livernois motorsports is near me in Detroit

OP
OP
myersroofer614

myersroofer614

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Have a 5 Star tune rn

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
despite the haters, theres been many folks with great hp numbers, that have put many many reliable miles on the stock 6.2L engine. not too sure about the procharger, but whipple has always been the gold standard for the 6.2L.. anything can happen to any engine that isnt tuned properly, and he's right theres no magic boost number thats going to blow it up. best bet is to get it to a reputable tuner and get all the EGT and AFR numbers right on a dyno..
Not sure who’s hating, it’s reality. The stock 6.2 is plenty reliable, but that is irrelevant once F/I is added. And that applies to any engine designed to be N/A from the factory. Engine design is not interchangeable between N/A and F/I applications.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you, Livernois motorsports is near me in Detroit
Livernois a reputable tuner. They will most likely recommend oil pump replacement before the addition of any supercharger, as the harmonics and shock loading from the supercharger drive can crack the oil pump gerotor gear, resulting in engine failure. The pump is $500 plus installation, so probably ~$2k total for that.

As far as the rest of the drivetrain, the 6R80 seems to handle a decent amount of power over stock without common failure, although they tend to exhibit planetary thrust bearing wear when subjected to higher torque numbers.

The Sterling 9.75 is a stout rear axle, but the issue is keeping it under control. Even in stock form, leaf springs will exhibit significant wheel hop under load. Combined with pinion angle deflection, you can take an axle that can manage the power but will fail due to shock loading, movement, and deflection. Traction bars are a must have at minimum, but will significantly limit axle articulation off -road.

OP
OP
myersroofer614

myersroofer614

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Livernois a reputable tuner. They will most likely recommend oil pump replacement before the addition of any supercharger, as the harmonics and shock loading from the supercharger drive can crack the oil pump gerotor gear, resulting in engine failure. The pump is $500 plus installation, so probably ~$2k total for that.

As far as the rest of the drivetrain, the 6R80 seems to handle a decent amount of power over stock without common failure, although they tend to exhibit planetary thrust bearing wear when subjected to higher torque numbers.

The Sterling 9.75 is a stout rear axle, but the issue is keeping it under control. Even in stock form, leaf springs will exhibit significant wheel hop under load. Combined with pinion angle deflection, you can take an axle that can manage the power but will fail due to shock loading, movement, and deflection. Traction bars are a must have at minimum, but will significantly limit axle articulation off -road.
Deavers spring are in the future, and oil pump is covered on my warranty. What brand pump i need?
Ty for the info.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Deavers spring are in the future, and oil pump is covered on my warranty. What brand pump i need?
Ty for the info.
What warranty do you have that covers oil pump failure caused by aftermarket modifications? Must be a best kept secret lol!

Livernois pump is a Ford OE pump that is upgraded in-house with billet gears:

As far as suspension, Deavers will not prevent wheel hop or pinion deflection. Traction bars are necessary at minimum; the torque output will overwhelm any leaf spring setup.