GEN 2 Math behind overlanding: Exceed truck weight limit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mokie

Reaction score
Guy, those springs are WORKED. You seriously need to do something for that rear suspension.

I’m upgrading the entire suspension but before I do I’d like to see what the stock suspension is capable of. So yes I have it loaded down and I’m abusing it.

Mokie

Reaction score
I see you have a winch, is that an ADD bumper?

Did you have to relocate you IC?

Do you have a complete build thread?

Yes I have the ADD stealth R winch bumper.

Yes I had to relocate my IC

No I do not have a build thread but I did watch a video of a Cobb FMIC instal and I worked off of that. I have the SVC FMIC. I picked this specific innercooler because the BOV is relocated to the top driver side corner of the IC. I wanted to keep the BOV higher and not low. I didn’t want it to be underwater when I was crossing creeks. Plus it keeps it out of the dirt a little better. I’m very happy with it. I’m using the TurboSmart Vee Port Em BOV also.

Here’s the link to the video I watched.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Yes I have the ADD stealth R winch bumper.

Yes I had to relocate my IC

No I do not have a build thread but I did watch a video of a Cobb FMIC instal and I worked off of that. I have the SVC FMIC. I picked this specific innercooler because the BOV is relocated to the top driver side corner of the IC. I wanted to keep the BOV higher and not low. I didn’t want it to be underwater when I was crossing creeks. Plus it keeps it out of the dirt a little better. I’m very happy with it. I’m using the TurboSmart Vee Port Em BOV also.

Here’s the link to the video I watched.

Thanks, appreciate your time and information.

sixshooter_45

Reaction score
No problem. If you get stumped, feel free to send me a message and I’ll try to walk you through it. Good luck with it! It’s not as difficult as it may seem.

Thanks, I'm a journeyman Electrical/ Mechanic for the last 15 years and a leader for the last five so I've got a few skills but I've learned that you can always learn from others no matter their skill level. And it's nice learning from someone that has already learned what worked and what didn't for their build.

The main problem is that they're so many options/ directions one can choose or go that I really take my time to decide what will work best for my particular situation.

Still on the fence about doing a similar build as yours or purchasing a nice 4x4 offroad trailer/camper.

They're a lot of manufacturers for these as well and they're are pros and cons going in either direction.

Either way my build will probably happen when I retire in about 4 years, may even purchase a new Raptor then depending on current milage so I'm not in a hurry as I have a nice Tonneau cover and all my gear for camping.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK, I loaded up for a week of warm weather camping with one other person and pulled out the tape measure.

Empty, half a tank of gas, 38F/36R, front was 40.5"P/40.25"D, rear was 42.25"P/42.375"D

I loaded the front seats with 182D + 187P = 370
The back seat saw cooler@110+water@185+tools@40+clothing/shoes@45 = 380
The bed at or in front of the axle got a cooler, cook gear, a cot, tent, chairs, grill, jack, and gas for 250
The bed behind the axle got the table, food, a cot, packs, and sleep gear for 180

The grand total was 1180lb, 220lb under the load limit of 1200+200 for the driver.

The front sank only 0.5", coming in at 40"P and 39.875"D
The back sank about 2", coming in at 40.25"P and 40.5"D

I was surprised that the front didn't sink more, since 1000lb of the load was between the axles. I was happy to see that she was roughly level with that much load, as I hate the squatty look.

sixshooter_45

Reaction score
OK, I loaded up for a week of warm weather camping with one other person and pulled out the tape measure.

Empty, half a tank of gas, 38F/36R, front was 40.5"P/40.25"D, rear was 42.25"P/42.375"D

I loaded the front seats with 182D + 187P = 370
The back seat saw cooler@110+water@185+tools@40+clothing/shoes@45 = 380
The bed at or in front of the axle got a cooler, cook gear, a cot, tent, chairs, grill, jack, and gas for 250
The bed behind the axle got the table, food, a cot, packs, and sleep gear for 180

The grand total was 1180lb, 220lb under the load limit of 1200+200 for the driver.

The front sank only 0.5", coming in at 40"P and 39.875"D
The back sank about 2", coming in at 40.25"P and 40.5"D

I was surprised that the front didn't sink more, since 1000lb of the load was between the axles. I was happy to see that she was roughly level with that much load, as I hate the squatty look.

I thought the total payload of 1,200 lbs. Included driver. So subtract 200 lb. driver and you have 1,000 of payload left if I stated that correctly.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought the total payload of 1,200 lbs. Included driver. So subtract 200 lb. driver and you have 1,000 of payload left if I stated that correctly.

I thought that at first, too, but someone here corrected me. Payload is 1200lb, assuming a 200lb driver and 3/4 tank of gas.

sixshooter_45

Reaction score
I thought that at first, too, but someone here corrected me. Payload is 1200lb, assuming a 200lb driver and 3/4 tank of gas.

Not to sure he was correct though.

From the manual:

Payload

Payload is the combined weight of cargo and
passengers that your vehicle is carrying. The
maximum payload for your vehicle appears on
the Tire and Loading label. The label is either
on the B-pillar or the edge of the driver door.
Vehicles exported outside the US and Canada
may not have a tire and loading label. Look for
"The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed *** kg OR *** lb" for maximum payload. The payload listed on the Tire and Loading Information label is the
maximum payload foryourvehicle as built by
the assembly plant. If you install any
additional equipment on your vehicle, you
must determine the new payload. Subtract
the weight of the equipment from the payload
listed on the Tire and Loading label.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not to sure he was correct though.

Both might be wrong ... from the specs on Ford.com, GVWR for a 2020 SCREW is 7050, while curb weight is 5700. That's a difference of 1350. Either way, I'm looking at three guys for three days or two guys for a week. Three guys for a week is going to be a bit much.

The main reason I did this is to see how much the front settles. If I do Eibachs and Deavers, the last thing I want is negative rake when fully loaded. +3HDs might not be enough.