Market abuse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I spoke with a dealer today, they bought a Raptor I was interested in from another dealer for 18k over so they could sell it at 25k over. So we're now competing against other dealers.

The most frustrating thing, to me anyway, if they would all simply state the actual prices on their websites, it would save a lot of frustration and time.

The market is the market.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is slightly generic but non the less.

Actually lack of supply and high demand is causing it all. Not the ADM's. starting from the top on down. chain reaction.

There are two things that effect higher prices (supply and demand). econ 101.

low supply - (higher prices)
high supply - (lower prices)
less demand - (lower prices)
more demand - (higher prices)

combinations of both (low supply and more demand) are exacerbating the higher prices.

Welcome to what is was somewhat like thru the 70's into the beginning of the 80's. high inflation, high interest rates. then high unemployment. (lets all hope it never gets that bad again in our life time. Luckily I believe this is mostly COVID related. (hopefully I am right) we can work thru it quicker than if it wasn't. I was a kid growing up then and kinda understood the tail end of it and I sure as hell don't want to experience that as an adult.

Last edited:

hapijohn

Reaction score
It’s unethical and bad for customers relations, plain and simple. These are supposed to be blue collar hero vehicles and these dealerships are pricing out the hard working people who would otherwise be able to afford them. If you want something to change then you need to do something about it. Idc that some think it’s pointless to do what I’m doing. And it’s sad that some people are willing to give in to ridiculous ADM. That only feeds the greed of these dealerships. I’ll say again I don’t think 5k or even 7.5k is out of the question but $10k or more is. These trucks are great but not when they’re unreachable by the very audience they were made for.
I’ve been looking for a Raptor EVERYWHERE. The dealers I’ve contacted had the “market adjustment” set at 40k (the highest) and 20k (the lowest).
I could understand 10k, I wouldn’t even blink but damn!!!! I love the Raptor but with the mark ups they’ve had me considering the TRX since the Raptors are priced higher.
It really sucks. I don’t want to get into the whole free market discussion but I’m soo bummed out about not being able to find one ☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️

KOK JR

Reaction score
Pay the ADM and drive away happy. Or, as Nancy said, Just say no!

CINISI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ADM's/Sellers don't set the market. Buyers always set the market.
Every seller always charges what the market will bear. Let me know when you are willing to sell something below market because you think the market is too high.
No question. …When buyers don’t pay the sellers list price the price goes down. Too many people spending money they have to keep up with the Joneses right now. IMO all these dealers selling for over ADM should be blacklisted.

…but what I said still stands true. Secondary market is directly affected by ADMs being charged.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
supposedly its not just ford. its all hearsay and not sure how true it is but I heard rumors from vw and gm employees that dealers are going to start getting less allocations and might be penalized and still be stuck doing customer purchases only and not able to order them theirselves and technically own the vehicles if this continues to get out of hand. theyll end up in a sense try to prevent the markups a little bit so they aren't gauging. thats the problem. if theirs collusion and they are gauging thats where it needs to stop. I say anything under 5k adm is reasonable and normal in this time. when it gets over 10k its getting to the tipping point.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yeah, article in MSN today about the stratospheric number of people overpaying for vehicles, not just for Raptors. I’m definitely concerned by it, but in early ‘21 I scored my Lincoln from a big urban stealership for under MSRP I think by 7k but the paperwork isn’t in front of me. I haven’t been shopping in the last few months, so I’m sure it’s tighter now.

There is a definite brand damage when a customer goes car/truck shopping and runs into an overcharging stealer. Again, look to the TRX buyers who got fed up waiting waiting for a Raptor, tired of playing ADM games, etc. How many of us have sworn off a brand at one time or another, regardless of whether we kept that promise or not?

cole925

Reaction score
I agree with you and posted about greedy dealers a few days ago and took a bunch of shit for saying so. I totally get free market and support it. However, being a Ford stock holder I want to see the company excel and sell as many vehicles they can. People getting the $15-20k adds are walking away and quite possibly buying another brand. They usually don’t forget antics like this going forward.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with you and posted about greedy dealers a few days ago and took a bunch of shit for saying so. I totally get free market and support it. However, being a Ford stock holder I want to see the company excel and sell as many vehicles they can. People getting the $15-20k adds are walking away and quite possibly buying another brand. They usually don’t forget antics like this going forward.
I don‘t think it’s an issue. What else are you going to buy? FCA? Maybe. GM? Please. Foreign? You run out of options really quickly. It’s a small pond and all of the marques have the same problem because it’s the dealers and everyone save Tesla uses them.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yeah, but Raptor buyers have the luxury of time. There’s not a single one of us that can’t wait it out because it’s a purely discretionary purchase. We can do anything the Raptor does with ( insert truck model here ), just not as well and in some cases you may not get the truck home. A Tremor could get us by if we needed to have some extra “capability” over a peasant truck. But we’re here because we -want- the Raptor.

We’re the ones driving Raptor ADM right now, look at all the people in here who fessed up. Stealerships are confident they’ll find “that guy” who has to have the Raptor and they are parting them from their money.

Don’t get me wrong, Jen Too is a great truck and Jen Tres promises great things as well but not 6 figures great.