GEN 2 Map and Cargo lights strobing/flickering with doors closed- AMP steps deploying at random

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JPinCC

JPinCC

Reaction score
Both DTCs indicate a short to ground in the headlamp switch/circuitry for the “off” position and “auto” position. Anything aftermarket spliced into the headlamp switch or circuits? If not, that leaves you with damaged circuits or a faulty headlamp switch.

Are the sliding rear window and sunroof on this same circuit? My sun roof does not work at all right now and the rear sliding window keeps opening on it own. I could hear the relays for the sliding window clicking the other day while I was under the hood looking at the grounds. Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
JPinCC

JPinCC

Reaction score
Knocking on wood as I type this, but I seem to have corrected the problem. After disconnecting all my after market accessories, I went through all the fuses testing them and making sure they were seated. I ended up replacing #23 (10A) even though it was reading continuity since it was a circuit that I had many issues on, and all is back to working normally. I am not sure if a fuse can be weak or why it was making everything go nuts but it's all back to normal now. On another strange note, all the diagrams I looked at, including my owners manual show a 10A fuse in the #1 spot but I have nothing there (pic attached)?? Thanks for all the input

Attachments

• 20230425_162147[1].jpg
    20230425_162147[1].jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If it works out to be the case, about as good a result as you could hope for.
Great news!

OP
OP
JPinCC

JPinCC

Reaction score
Well today I was driving and the problems came back. I went and pulled the fuse #23 (10A) and it was not blown but I replaced it anyway and all was back to normal for the rest of my drive but the next time I got in the problem was back??? My fuse box at the passenger kick panel does not seem to jive with my manual or any fuse box diagrams I can find online. I have no fuse in the #1 spot and then have fuses in other spots my manual and the diagrams online show should be unused???

Last edited:
OP
OP
JPinCC

JPinCC

Reaction score
UPDATE: Friday, I ended up disconnecting the ground cable from the body to frame (front passenger side) and the one on the passenger side frame rail (transmission module?) and cleaned everything up with a wire wheel on my drill. Put it all back together and sprayed it with some undercoat and my issues have not returned since. Using ForScan I went to pull codes and did not have any, but when I run the self test on the Body Control Module I get Code B143B- Autolamp On Input and B143C Headlamp Off Input. Last week (while I was still having issues) I made an appointment at the dealership for 9am this morning but when I got there today there were about 10 vehicles ahead of me and they said (2) appointment coordinators were out and I could leave my truck but they probably wouldn't even look at it and suggested I try to bring it back tomorrow. I ordered a new switch so that I could rule that out, but after changing it out, I reset the BCM with ForScan and then did the BCM self test and got the same codes B143B- Autolamp On Input and B143C Headlamp Off Input.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JPinCC

JPinCC

Reaction score
I dropped my truck off at the dealer today at 7:45am and went back at 6pm and they still had not looked at it. I ended up talking with a tech who then hooked his computer up to it and he did not see any codes but when he did the self test on the BCM he got the same (2) codes: Code B143B- Autolamp On Input and B143C Headlamp Off Input. I explained that I had already replaced the switch and that did not do anything, but then he noticed the switch was on auto so he turned it off and re-ran the test and it came back with pass and no issues. I went home to drop off the other truck I was driving and got a ride back to pick up my truck and as soon as I got in it the running boards started acting up again as well as the rear cargo window:angry94: and the dealership was now closed. This is after it had been normal the last few days?????

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I dropped my truck off at the dealer today at 7:45am and went back at 6pm and they still had not looked at it. I ended up talking with a tech who then hooked his computer up to it and he did not see any codes but when he did the self test on the BCM he got the same (2) codes: Code B143B- Autolamp On Input and B143C Headlamp Off Input. I explained that I had already replaced the switch and that did not do anything, but then he noticed the switch was on auto so he turned it off and re-ran the test and it came back with pass and no issues.
Ok, that makes a lot more sense now. Those were Self-Test DTCs, not CMDTCs. The switch should be in the off position during a self test, hence the DTCs.
I went home to drop off the other truck I was driving and got a ride back to pick up my truck and as soon as I got in it the running boards started acting up again as well as the rear cargo window:angry94: and the dealership was now closed. This is after it had been normal the last few days?????
I would leave anything aftermarket disconnected and removed before going any further. The OBD port allows direct network access; those AMP running boards could easily be contributing to the issue.

OP
OP
JPinCC

JPinCC

Reaction score
Ok, that makes a lot more sense now. Those were Self-Test DTCs, not CMDTCs. The switch should be in the off position during a self test, hence the DTCs.

I would leave anything aftermarket disconnected and removed before going any further. The OBD port allows direct network access; those AMP running boards could easily be contributing to the issue.
I didn't think about that before when I was running the self test but it makes sense now. Are you saying the AMP running boards could be causing the problem? When I left the dealership yesterday and they started acting up, I disconnected them from the OBD port but the problems with the lights and rear cargo window remained. Wouldn't that rule them out?