GEN 2 Map and Cargo lights strobing/flickering with doors closed- AMP steps deploying at random

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JPinCC

JPinCC

Reaction score
10.6v while cranking seems low to me. These trucks really want a full battery at all times.
Do you think that could be causing my issues? I will put a charger on it to see if it makes a difference.

OP
OP
JPinCC

JPinCC

Reaction score
Fully charged the battery and it is just much brighter strobing interior lights

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any ideas on this from post #9?
Both DTCs indicate a short to ground in the headlamp switch/circuitry for the “off” position and “auto” position. Anything aftermarket spliced into the headlamp switch or circuits? If not, that leaves you with damaged circuits or a faulty headlamp switch.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Any chance your up fitter connected lights are spliced to trigger with high beam or high / low beam?

that short to ground is bad news. I’m not familiar with the running boards, so how did you get power for them?

OP
OP
JPinCC

JPinCC

Reaction score
Both DTCs indicate a short to ground in the headlamp switch/circuitry for the “off” position and “auto” position. Anything aftermarket spliced into the headlamp switch or circuits? If not, that leaves you with damaged circuits or a faulty headlamp switch.

Thanks. Nothing spliced into the headlamp switch/circuit that I am aware of. I assume the cargo lights are on that circuit to go off when the headlights go off as well?? Is the rear cargo window on that same circuit? I don't understand why it is opening on its own and not closing?? Just checked my sunroof and it does not seem to be opening or closing???

Any chance your up fitter connected lights are spliced to trigger with high beam or high / low beam?

that short to ground is bad news. I’m not familiar with the running boards, so how did you get power for them?
No. The AMP steps connect to the OBDII for the signal to fold up or down.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Thanks. Nothing spliced into the headlamp switch/circuit that I am aware of. I assume the cargo lights are on that circuit to go off when the headlights go off as well?? Is the rear cargo window on that same circuit? I don't understand why it is opening on its own and not closing?? Just checked my sunroof and it does not seem to be opening or closing???

No. The AMP steps connect to the OBDII for the signal to fold up or down.
ok, what about power and ground?
How did you run power / ground for the steps?

OP
OP
JPinCC

JPinCC

Reaction score
ok, what about power and ground?
How did you run power / ground for the step

They are in a harness that runs to the battery, but I have disconnected them as well as all after-market electronics and still have the problem.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I should have asked that question better.

Look to trace the harness starting at the battery home run / runs and follow it to the connection point. Check for a harness being rubbed through or similar error.