Major misfire on startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b-mack

Reaction score
I’m hoping someone has an idea for this one: My 2020 has a little over 20k and has never had a single issue with the engine. Today, after the truck was pretty warm but not driven in the last hour, I went to start it up and it was like I had a dead cylinder. Barely running, shaking all over, surging, trying to die….just like if I pulled a plug wire or two. I shut it down, waited about 5 seconds and restarted and all was fine again. No check engine light and it didn’t throw a code. I drove it the rest of the day and nothing else has happened but that would be a stranding level event if it didn’t go away. Any ideas? Can the computer just glitch like that?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place, congrats on your raptor. There may be a code stored, but you will need to download Forscan to check. You will also need an adaptor to connect from your laptop to your truck. In the meantime I would check your intake for loose hoses, etc. Is it stock?

OP
OP
b-mack

b-mack

Reaction score
Yup, totally stock. I didn’t have time to do an under hood check but I will tomorrow…just seems odd it would spec correct like that and give no other occurrences.

OP
OP
b-mack

b-mack

Reaction score
Thanks, will do. I’ll give it a full look over tomorrow. I would have thought a code would pop up but none were found when I had the local parts store run a scan.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Are you running a Pedal Commander? It gave me some issues. Beyond that, there may just be a ghost in the machine. Mine has done few random things that were fixed by a restart, never to be repeated. I have 86k miles now. One time the oil pressure light came on with lots of beeps from the dash. No idea why, that was about 40k miles ago. Something just glitched or didn't boot up right. Dunno.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you running a Pedal Commander? It gave me some issues. Beyond that, there may just be a ghost in the machine. Mine has done few random things that were fixed by a restart, never to be repeated. I have 86k miles now. One time the oil pressure light came on with lots of beeps from the dash. No idea why, that was about 40k miles ago. Something just glitched or didn't boot up right. Dunno.
Sometimes I think our cell phones cause issues

OP
OP
b-mack

b-mack

Reaction score
No, no mods or extras whatsoever. It’s good (I think??) To hear it could have just been a random one time event. That’s kinda what it seemed like since it was simply gone with a restart.

EastEndAngler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@b-mack - same M/Y and milage (just crossed 20k on the odometer) - I haven't experience symptoms as drastic as what you describe but as of recent I do feel like the truck is idling a bit rougher upon first start. It's noticeable enough to me that I was researching spark plug yesterday....

Macdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m same truck 2020 802a 21k miles. At about 17k miles mine did shimmy shake almost like urs sounds like. But shut off. Started again and has run perfect ever since. When I had it in for oil change had them check for codes and none! Just a glitch in the matrix.