Maintenance schedule

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own a 2019 Raptor and when I was at the dealer getting the SYNC repaired, I asked the service advisor about required maintenance. He said, technically, nothing but an oil change is required before 100k miles. I had a conversation with an auto mechanic whose dog I train that told me after 60k miles, it is likely that, unless I replace the plugs at 60k, the turbos will go out. What is real and what is not? Ford wants $1400 to service the truck at 60k, money is not the issue, but they want me to leave it at the dealership for 4 days, I think that’s nuts!

Alysium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check this section of the forum out.

OP
OP
K9 EXPERT

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 days? For routine service?
you think that’s bad, my dog chewed the RR seatbelt and after it took 4 months for another belt to arrive, the service advisor said they want to keep the truck for 5 days to replace belts. He said I may get it back sooner, but a huge staff storage. My goal today is to check another dealership.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yeah... No. Instead, my stealership can schedule me a few days out, and when that day comes, --THEN-- I can drop the truck off for what amounts to a 3 hour repair.

Alysium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah... No. Instead, my stealership can schedule me a few days out, and when that day comes, --THEN-- I can drop the truck off for what amounts to a 3 hour repair.
isnt that the normal way of getting serviced at dealerships?

I mean, you take it in for diagnosis, they tell you whats wrong and then the service advisor can tell you if the parts are available or needs to be ordered.

you take your vehicle home then take it back when all the parts are in the dealership.

unless the vehicle is deemed inoperable, I wouldnt advice leaving any car in the dealership while waiting for parts.

Louscrew

Reaction score
My 2017 at 67k miles threw some codes; P300, P304 and P306 after getting on it one day.
I suspected the plugs because it had a mild surging at 1500 to 2100RPM before this happened.
Out of laziness, I asked dealer for spark plug replacement quote, $250 plus more if it was something else.
Heck, $68 for plugs and tools with about an hour to replace them plus wipe the dust off her innards, back on the road again.
Turns out that the #6 plug gap was .036" but it was #4 that had the ground electrode burnt off with the tip insulator missing causing all the grief.
Plug side view.jpg

Plug tip view.jpg

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone assuring you that your turbos will fail if you don't change the plugs at 60k miles is just talking out of their ***. You could literally do nothing to these engines but oil changes until 100k and you'd likely be fine.

But really, just follow the maintenance schedule and call it a day. Why is everyone always trying to outsmart the Ford engineers WRT things like recommended maintenance, type of oil, etc?

Alysium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone assuring you that your turbos will fail if you don't change the plugs at 60k miles is just talking out of their ***. You could literally do nothing to these engines but oil changes until 100k and you'd likely be fine.

But really, just follow the maintenance schedule and call it a day. Why is everyone always trying to outsmart the Ford engineers WRT things like recommended maintenance, type of oil, etc?

I agree with this.

following recommended service schedules are great. but as with any vehicle owner, we should all do our due diligence to still keep an eye on things.

small signs of extra wear, unusual leaks or noises should be looked at, diagnosed and addressed as soon as possible.

I did change to colder plugs at 40k miles but that was a personal decision. the original plugs looked great and I kept them as spares.

regular pil changes, tire rotations, fluids topped off and the occasional checks and any car should have a long happy life.