GEN 1 Maintenance Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes or use RTV (silicone, pretty sure that's what the factory did, like Permatex Ultra Blue or similar) for the diff covers. I hear LubeLocker makes a nice one for the transmission, maybe rear diff as well, if that's where your leak is it might be worth considering. I'm not sure I just have it written down for the next time I service my transmission, I used the one that came with the filter last time:
20180203_105911.jpg
Side note, your manual likely says Mercon XL12 for the transfer case but Ford discontinued it and the new spec is Mercon LV, same as the transmission. No gaskets needed there just a drain and fill plug.

Another side note, I have down the PA transmission dipstick I got is part number PA68404 and I got it from Summit, I think B&M makes one now as well. I wouldn't be using the funnel above for the stock mini dipstick, you pretty much have to pump it in to that little guy. I definitely recommend the aftermarket dipstick:20180128_151507.jpg

OP
OP
lukelindeman

lukelindeman

Reaction score
Yes or use RTV (silicone, pretty sure that's what the factory did, like Permatex Ultra Blue or similar) for the diff covers. I hear LubeLocker makes a nice one for the transmission, maybe rear diff as well, if that's where your leak is it might be worth considering. I'm not sure I just have it written down for the next time I service my transmission, I used the one that came with the filter last time:
View attachment 331385
Side note, your manual likely says Mercon XL12 for the transfer case but Ford discontinued it and the new spec is Mercon LV, same as the transmission. No gaskets needed there just a drain and fill plug.

Another side note, I have down the PA transmission dipstick I got is part number PA68404 and I got it from Summit, I think B&M makes one now as well. I wouldn't be using the funnel above for the stock mini dipstick, you pretty much have to pump it in to that little guy. I definitely recommend the aftermarket dipstick:View attachment 331386
I have also heard that the lube locker is good. Thanks for the detailed information.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cleaned everything up and it seems like it’s a reddish fluid from the transmission pan. So I assume when I do the fluid change I’ll need a new gasket for that. Will I also need to go ahead and replace the gasket for the front and rear diffs?
The bulkhead connector is a common source for a leak on the transmission. The leak should be addressed before anything else as the fix may be included in the service of the tranny so look for a TSB for your vin#.