Magnetic Paint Chip Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paint repair tip.......On a recent camping trip to Moab, Utah (we tow the Raptor behind our motor home) we took the truck off road for a few miles. My truck is more of a mall crawler, but we had fun on a couple of service roads. When we got home, I found I had a bunch of really small (pencil tip size) chips, just in front of both rear wheel wells, about 15 per side. They were down to the primer. I have the Ford touch up paint, but like most touch up paint, it's really not a perfect match.

On the Magnet paint only, I used a black Sharpie, to cover each chip. Right after, I buffed the paint out with polish/wax. The chips disappeared. There were a few on the plastic fender flare too. Since it's plastic, those chips were more of a tear of the plastic and didn't cover up as well.

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know and glad that it worked out as I also have Magnetic. I also like Dr. Color Chip for their touch-up options. I have used it on several different vehicles.

kpecks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before we hit the road again in our coach, I wrapped the front in 3m. I also added some JLT mud flaps that cut down 99% of the mud, rocks, debris. Made a HUGE difference. Easy to install, don’t look half bad and provide better coverage than all but a few other options out there. We’ve done made forest service roads, lots of water crossings, and off-road abuse and they’ve handled everything I’ve thrown at them. No damage or chips anymore.

How’s the raptor towing behind the bus Don? I love towing ours. So simple and easy. It’s a bit heavier than the other vehicles I’ve towed before but not really noticeable!

Last edited:

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford paint is so soft. Chips way too easily!!!

Sharpee worked pretty damn good on Lead Foot Gray as well.