Made decals for the Tailgate Applique

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdiddy4224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was a pain, literally stenciled over the decals on the applique and scanned them in and edited on Photoshop. I think it turned out quite well. Not sure I'll keep the vinyl on all the decals, but would like to do the letters in a reflective white versus a plain gloss white

Attachments

• image0 (24).jpeg
    image0 (24).jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 131
  • image3 (6).jpeg
    image3 (6).jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Tailgate 2.jpg
    Tailgate 2.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Tailgate 3.jpg
    Tailgate 3.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 123
OP
OP
cdiddy4224

cdiddy4224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did similar, but took picture and then used Cricut Design space to edit. Also did Raptor on the Hood Cowl.

The Tail Gate FORD is from Rappy.
Surprised you didn't make the tailgate letters yourself if you went through the trouble of doing the more intricate emblems.

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
Surprised you didn't make the tailgate letters yourself if you went through the trouble of doing the more intricate emblems.
I had the Tailgate already and thought, wait I can do this on my Cricut. I like the tailgate, but thinking I may remove and do them yellow. Not sure if it would be too much yellow though.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did similar, but took picture and then used Cricut Design space to edit. Also did Raptor on the Hood Cowl.

The Tail Gate FORD is from Rappy.

Out of curiosity, why not just take an jpg off the web, convert to svg, and resize as needed?

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why not just take an jpg off the web, convert to svg, and resize as needed?
I started with that. However there were some differences, more so when trying to do just the outline. You can not just scale it to fit as the proportions are not the same when scaling (meaning some outline are thicker). Trust me on that. LOL. I invested probably 10+ hours trying to get one of internet to work. It was always a scaling issue. What I did was take picture, import into Fusion 360, outlined, scaled to match truck, then imported into Cricut, then scaled there as well (when imported you can set exactly. The most frustrating portion was the inner part of the O and R.

Can not recommend Cricut enough. So many projects. I also did my tailgate hitch. Printed in 3D, painted blue and did the yellow M inlay with Vinyl. Best $200 ever spent.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 11.18.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 11.18.00 AM.png
    316.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 11.20.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 11.20.31 AM.png
    303.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 11.22.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 11.22.43 AM.png
    427.5 KB · Views: 58

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I started with that. However there were some differences, more so when trying to do just the outline. You can not just scale it to fit as the proportions are not the same when scaling (meaning some outline are thicker). Trust me on that. LOL. I invested probably 10+ hours trying to get one of internet to work. It was always a scaling issue. What I did was take picture, import into Fusion 360, outlined, scaled to match truck, then imported into Cricut, then scaled there as well (when imported you can set exactly. The most frustrating portion was the inner part of the O and R.

That makes sense. It may be that the logo changed slightly between Gen 2 and Gen 3. Either way though, I think I'll stick with Rappy when the vinyl has to be an exact match to the badging.

Can not recommend Cricut enough. So many projects. I also did my tailgate hitch. Printed in 3D, painted blue and did the yellow M inlay with Vinyl. Best $200 ever spent.

Agreed. I got one around Christmas time last year and use it a ton. Still a lot of things I haven't tried yet.

OP
OP
cdiddy4224

cdiddy4224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes sense. It may be that the logo changed slightly between Gen 2 and Gen 3. Either way though, I think I'll stick with Rappy when the vinyl has to be an exact match to the badging.

Agreed. I got one around Christmas time last year and use it a ton. Still a lot of things I haven't tried yet.
I think Rappy is insanely overpriced for what you're getting. If you have enough know how or time to do it on your own, its worth it to me. I also like the challenge of trying to get it just right

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think Rappy is insanely overpriced for what you're getting. If you have enough know how or time to do it on your own, its worth it to me. I also like the challenge of trying to get it just right

Well, if I ever switch mine out, I'll be asking you or @gobluejd got the SVG files. I don't really enjoy that part of the challenge. :) Although, I'm still on Gen2, so the badges may still work, but the FORD lettering on the grille and applique is certainly different.

Also, I did a subdued Texas Flag with reflective ruby red trim for the grille. Even if I could get the right svg files, vinyl, and printer to get it done, I'd likely screwup the layering. So for that, $135 doesn't feel too bad.