M/T or A/T

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grizz23

Reaction score
Im looking to get new tires but I'm not sure which kind to go for. I always loved the aggressiveness of the Nitto trail grappler but i do pretty much all of my driving on the road. Would the toyo at2 be more practical although or would they be about the same?

bcjohnson22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say there are a lot of variables. Take into consideration what kind of weather you are dealing with, the roads you usually drive on, and whether or not you plan on offroading the truck in the future.

The Trail Grapplers are a good all around tire, but they aren't a standard AT by any means. They are going to be a little heavier, louder and more aggressive. That's what I am going to be getting most likely for my next tire, but I see a lot of dirt and rough terrain when using my truck on a daily basis.

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're in NY you'll want something that deals with snow well too, and AT is much better than MT for snow.

For that reason my next set is probably going to be another set of BFG's or possibly the Toyo AT2s. I read a couple threads somewhere that the AT2s wear fast though so not sure.

mikehoncho88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of personal preference and trade offs either way. There are actually hybrid tires out that are very popular right now. GY Wrangler Duratrac is an AT tire that has some characteristics of a mud terrain. I believe Mickey Thompson has a new tire in the "in between" category as well.

jdruzik

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I love Toyo Open Country MTs... One thing to consider with MTs, they are significantly heavier which leads to more rolling resistance. This will mean a greater hit with gas milage. They will be noisier on the highway. I have had not problem with snow or rain with these tires and are very aggressive in appearance. It's up to you, good luck...

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you're in NY you'll want something that deals with snow well too, and AT is much better than MT for snow.

For that reason my next set is probably going to be another set of BFG's or possibly the Toyo AT2s. I read a couple threads somewhere that the AT2s wear fast though so not sure.

my buddy has the AT2's on his F350 crew cab. i think he has about 20,000 miles on them now and they still have plenty of life left in them. should get another 20k out of them easy. he liked the look and the offroad ability of the toyo MT's he had on there before but he likes the AT2's on the road much more

ironside

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my buddy has the AT2's on his F350 crew cab. i think he has about 20,000 miles on them now and they still have plenty of life left in them. should get another 20k out of them easy. he liked the look and the offroad ability of the toyo MT's he had on there before but he likes the AT2's on the road much more

I am on my second set of toyo at2's. My first set lasted just over 60,000 miles. I will buy them again.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I love the look of the MT's, but I can't justify buying an "offroad" tire, since this is my dd. I just bought a set of 35" AT II's from FreedomMS.