Lug wrench does not fit lug nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No thanks, not that kind of Chevy. Anyway, I love driving my Raptor when it’s not in the shop. Best looking truck around as well. Hopefully I won’t have any more issues, but I guess I just gotta roll with it. BTW, Ford sent me a $250.00 gift card for being in the shop so many times, with their apologies.
Well that’s very nice of them! Once you read up on some of the more common problems with some Gen 2s, you can be proactive with your own maintenance and make sure you don’t have anymore surprises. These are the best trucks on the road, but they do require maintenance.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you use the correct size socket every time- stock lugs last forever. Problem is using a slightly too big of socket which ***** up the STAINLESS STEEL (not chrome) outer cover. Then the next guy runs a bigger socket and damages it even more. Then the next guy hammers the right size on and damages them further.

Letting others work on your vehicles is the main problem. All wheel changes/removal are done by me on my vehicles and I've never had an issue with Ford OEM lugs in 25 years.

Unraptor

Reaction score
As per my Ford dealer, this is a known issue, but Ford will not warranty the lug nuts as they consider this normal wear & tear. Funny that I’ve worked on my own vehicles and had them serviced by dealers for over 42 years and never had this happen. I was told by the service manager that Ford told them to use a 21.5 MM socket on the lugs that were swollen to remove them, as opposed to the 21 MM that is the correct, original OEM size, which is the size lug wrench that was supplied by Ford with the vehicle. That’s fine if Ford doesn’t want to warranty the lugs, but they should at least warn owners before they are stuck with a flat tire and no way to change it. So, I’ve now got my new 1 piece solid steel lug nuts on the truck. They were pricey, but fit PERFECTLY on my OEM lug wrench and look great! These are some beefy lug nuts, as you would expect on a truck of this caliber.
Don’t get me wrong, I love my Raptor, and I’ve never owned a vehicle that I enjoyed driving more. A little heads up on a known issue would go a long way with how consumers feel about how honest their vehicle manufacturer is. Honesty goes a long way with most of us.