LP6s on a 15A circuit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crowe938

Reaction score
Just installed a Swarfworks light mount with a pair of BD LP6s and LP4s. Wired the pair of LP6s to upfitter switch 1. According to BD each LP6 is 7.5A. Upfitter 1 is rated for 15A total. Tonight after being on for about 5 mins so I could level the lights, the fuse blew. Is this going to be a constant problem that I need to address with a relay as they’re drawing too close to the total amperage? Was hoping to keep this install simple, but maybe cut it too close.

Thanks - I’m new to all this so please take it easy on me :)

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Just installed a Swarfworks light mount with a pair of BD LP6s and LP4s. Wired the pair of LP6s to upfitter switch 1. According to BD each LP6 is 7.5A. Upfitter 1 is rated for 15A total. Tonight after being on for about 5 mins so I could level the lights, the fuse blew. Is this going to be a constant problem that I need to address with a relay as they’re drawing too close to the total amperage? Was hoping to keep this install simple, but maybe cut it too close.

Thanks - I’m new to all this so please take it easy on me :)
Welcome to FRF Rook.

I’ll bet you didn’t account for all the amps. LP series have side shooter circuits in addition to the main circuit. main circuit is probably 7.5 and then the side shooters. check the LP6 page.

under detailed specs;
amperage 7.5
backlight amperage .3
secondary amperage 1

So you’re actually pulling a minimum 8.5 / light + backlight if you have that wired in.

You need a relay.

Inquiring minds want to know though.

Why would you mount LP6’s on a prius?

OP
OP
C

crowe938

Reaction score
I don’t get the Prius reference. I’m slow.

Is there a basic relay you’d recommend for this application?

OP
OP
C

crowe938

Reaction score
Ok, as I've done some more research this morning, I should probably rewire everything using a relay vs. just powering off the upfitters. What's a good relay setup that can handle 6 pairs of lights, with a couple up to at least 20A? Thanks for the help.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Official welcome to FRF.

The prius reference is that we assume people drive a prius (any vehicle besides a Raptor) until photo proof shows otherwise. Avatar pictures do not count. Our way of hazing the new kids. You have now passed this with your last post.

Are you trying to wire all 6 lights to 1 switch? Call John from SPV https://specialtyperformanceparts.com/. He makes great harness and is a site supporter.

You can install a Switch Pro like I had mentioned earlier in this thread, it's a solid state relay. That is the route I took wiring up my LP9s. Baja Designs also make a harness that comes with a wired relay.

OP
OP
C

crowe938

Reaction score
Ha!

That's actually just a truck I saw in a parking lot - I don't own a Prius... a Volt, actually. So I fooled you.

No, not into one switch. All six switches are utilized, save for my fogs which are two pairs of SAEs into one 10A switch. But, it got me thinking that I could wire everything into one switch and not have to flick multiple switches. I almost never isolate the lights - they're either all on, or all off. The Switch-Pro seems overkill for my needs - I don't need all sorts of programming capabilities. I've ordered stuff from SPV previously so I'll definitely hit up John.

Thanks for the insights!

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
On the Switch-Pros, I hit one button for 4 pairs of lights, (Race Mode). 2 pair LP9s, XL80 and S8 light bar. I didn't think I needed it before either. Now I can't imagine it without one.

20230303_133857.jpg

I have 2 uplifters in use also. 5 is backlighting on the LP9s and 6 is the rear locker.

OP
OP
C

crowe938

Reaction score
I was looking at the Olsen relay box. I like that it will allow the use of my high-beam stalk to activate the lights. Any opinions on their system?