LP6 vs XL80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dubya_raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to get some advice on which light would be the better candidate. Have a SVC baja bumper with 5 light tabs on top. So light arrangement would be similar to the picture below:

fullsizeoutput_73a.jpeg

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but with the relocated FMIC, will the larger LP6 lights block too much surface area for air to feed into the grille? (Note that the lights above are LP9's, and are larger than the LP6's.)

I recently read a thread where some fellow had two lights bars behind his grille and was noticing some hot temps due to their location. Anyways whats the consensus?

--LP6--

Pros
  • kinda cool looking
  • 200 degree pattern
  • more total lumens
Cons
  • more expensive
  • larger
  • may block more camera more
--XL80--

Pros
  • cheaper
  • smaller
  • option for wide cornering
  • more forward projecting lumens
Cons
  • wide cornering may be moot against LP6 peripheral lights
I have had XL-80s before on my last truck. Was very happy with their performance. Sold them with the truck :banghead:. Have yet to see a LP6 in person.

Disclaimer: I'm a lumen *****.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The LP6 are not that much larger then the XLs. For my money i'd go with the LP6.

We had a shipment come in last week of them but they are gone already. We have plenty of LP9 left but we've already got a re-supply shipment in for LP6. They are hot sellers let me tell ya. Really cool lights.

So i'd say, go for the LP6. Looks like you've been doing your research all right.

Im thinking of putting them on my own truck. The LP9 are too big for me, as they'll block my IC but the LP6 should be a great size. Still a bit big but still a good size.

Anyway when you make a decision let me know, we'll put together a nice package deal for ya.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compromise the American way...do both!

Two LPs in outboard positions, and XLs in the center... Maybe two of the new laser XLs in positions 2 and 4 for distance (though those would work better mounted higher, perhaps on A-pillar mounts) and one regular XL80 to act as a fill in the center.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
exHxY7V.jpg

If you relief cut the grill and position the tabs juuuuuust right, XLs will fit on the top tube of the bumper, recessed back from the main bar, and the top of the heat sinks on the back of the XL housing sit just about even with the lowest point of the fin surface on the IC. I sat and measured for a few days to get this right. Measure, tack, pull it off, measure, mark, tack.... until finally i got everything where i wanted.

I also wanted to get the lights sitting low enough so I didnt have to cut the upper solid plastic "nostrils" part of the grill shell so i would retain some structural rigidity.

I also did not want any of the camera view blocked.

No one makes a grill like this. You would have to do the grill work yourself and weld appropriate tabs onto the bumper, then paint/powdercoat it.

The LP6s are taller and will not fit in this same spot.

I have a total of a little over 2 million candlepower coming off of my truck. If I need more, I'll end up probably doing a 50" curved laser bar over the windshield, but It is going to be difficult justifying a $7K+ custom laser bar.

OP
OP
dubya_raptor

dubya_raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys.
fullsizeoutput_73e.jpeg

I did come across a picture of a raptor with LP6's. Looks pretty legit. Doesn't seem to block too much grille real estate either. BUT... that camera looks totally blocked.

@4x4TruckLEDs.com - thanks for the help. I'll dm you when I figure out what I'm going to run.

@91Eunos - that would be a possible setup. Lasers are too $$ to justify though. Not going that fast either. I couldn't outrun my XL80's & my hyperspot on my last truck. Not saying much though, she was a porker.

@zombiekiller - how you recessed your lights is top notch bro. A little beyond my backyard fabbing skills. I also dig how the XL80's match up top on the pillars.
Since I already have the tabs welded on the bumper, I'm going that route. Mounting them on the bumper will also allow me to "arc" them out.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys.
View attachment 116837

I did come across a picture of a raptor with LP6's. Looks pretty legit. Doesn't seem to block too much grille real estate either. BUT... that camera looks totally blocked.

@4x4TruckLEDs.com - thanks for the help. I'll dm you when I figure out what I'm going to run.

@91Eunos - that would be a possible setup. Lasers are too $$ to justify though. Not going that fast either. I couldn't outrun my XL80's & my hyperspot on my last truck. Not saying much though, she was a porker.

@zombiekiller - how you recessed your lights is top notch bro. A little beyond my backyard fabbing skills. I also dig how the XL80's match up top on the pillars.
Since I already have the tabs welded on the bumper, I'm going that route. Mounting them on the bumper will also allow me to "arc" them out.

You'll find that 5 XLs is PLEEEEENTY, especially if you're going to do a lower bar. ( or 7 if you do A pillars too)

Even without a lower bar, they put out a TON of light. Between the XL Pros and the XL Racers on my truck, i am not overrunning the lights at 85mph and honestly, I'm not racing so I dont feel like i need to go faster as night. If that changes, I can always add a top bar, or swap the A Pillar XLs for laser units.

It is really rare that I even need to flip the racers on, So I think I'm finished with lights.

Good luck with the lights! I think you'll be quite happy with your choice.

As far as the fab skills bit.. as long as youre comfortable with welding some light tabes on after measuring and marking, you can do it.

The plastic grill work is all just measure, measure, cut, fill, sand, clean, paint. Not particularly difficult either.

Last edited:

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Put a squadron pro in the middle. Amber if you like. Xl's or 6's with 2 different patterns on each side.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
LP9 are sexy... LP6 are just as sexy :)

This is Lance's truck that we outfitted with lights. He's running LP9s and S8 bars

upload_2018-12-28_22-30-50.png

NCoffroad

Reaction score
Can you im me? Looking to do this setup on mine. Would like to understand parts list and install challenges also to purchase