Lower shock bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98infinity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easiest way to get lower shock bolt off, and then back on to the 406ft pounds?

I want to do the shocks myself...only thing I'll need is a shop to swap the springs on the fronts.

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easiest way to get lower shock bolt off, and then back on to the 406ft pounds?

I want to do the shocks myself...only thing I'll need is a shop to swap the springs on the fronts.

The easiest way is with an impact gun capable of the correct torque. Harbor freight will be the cheapest option. You would also need a compressor and air line capable of the appropriate pressure.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
1/2" breaker bar works great for me. If you are swapping the springs or adjusting the perch height, you will want to get an alignment. Just get the lower bolt as tight as you can after reinstalling, and then have the alignment shop torque the lower bolt. It's way easier for them to do it on a lift.....

OP
OP

98infinity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1/2" breaker bar works great for me. If you are swapping the springs or adjusting the perch height, you will want to get an alignment. Just get the lower bolt as tight as you can after reinstalling, and then have the alignment shop torque the lower bolt. It's way easier for them to do it on a lift.....

Damn never though of that! Dude just saved me...

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would get your alinement checked no matter what and yes that is the best time to get the torque done. The shop I go to (a friend) for alignments bought a 4' torque wrench just for my truck! Actually he wanted one for center lock wheels on Porsche's anyway, they go to the 400lb range also.

It was so easy to torque on the alignment rack vs on the floor jack

OP
OP

98infinity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also with the hat, is there anything I should replace up there a bushing or the bump stops. Or the bolts?

D

Deleted member 12951

I've heard that this bolt should be replaced instead of being re-used. Few do and don't see reported issues but that is alot of torque and potentially stretching can occur.