Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Lower Panels: Front & Rear Doors

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by KAH24, Sep 13, 2020.

1. KAH24

KAH24 Member

Good Afternoon,

I’ve received several questions about the lower door panels on my Raptor.

Being a second owner, I don’t know what it is—I can tell it is not wrap or paint. Fingernail cannot get under the edge and it has several mils of thickness—less than/similar to the Line X bedliner.

My best assessment:

-Some sort of spray on coating several mils thick (smooth, flexible texture, can’t peel back on edges around/below door panels).

-Paint color matched with OEM fender flare colors—and someone took the time to achieve factory perfect match. Factory appearance.

Hats off as whomever did this had the ability to put a durable protective layer, and fender flare match color wise.

96BA2C29-28D8-49B5-911D-9DC1B923AD64.jpeg

View attachment 151860

View attachment 151861

63580B66-AE46-4F72-8292-424E76005C2F.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    MikeP703, 01Moch1 and richnot like this.
  2. Don N

Don N Full Access Member

What does it look like inside the door jamb area?

3. Cornwallis

Cornwallis Full Access Member

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not, ironically enough, Raptor bedliner. It can be tinted with paint to an OEM match and is pretty easy to apply.

4. isis

isis Full Access Member

Probably plasti-dip.

5. 04Ram2500Hemi

04Ram2500Hemi It's Just a Username

I had the rockers on my last two trucks sprayed with Line-X, and I loved it. I’ve given some thought to doing the same on this truck (I’d do the bumpers and fender flares all to match). I’m just worried about how it would look on the color of my truck.

6. Badgertits

Badgertits FRF Addict

Said he couldn’t peel it off- if you mess w/ it enough even a good heavy application you’ll notice it starting to come up or scratch

7. isis

isis Full Access Member

Whew. Anyone who plastidips the body panels on a Raptor deserves a kick in the marbles.

JP77 likes this.
  8. richnot

richnot Full Access Member

GM and other manufactures used to have a protective coating on the rockers ans base of the fenders, i think it was called Rock GUARD or Chip Guard and i think it was done at the factory.
    There are members on this forum that have had their beds done in factory colors and it is roughly $400-$500 more just for the color match

Jeep is most likely the number one vehicle to have a full Line-X or Rhino liner that is factory colored matched to the factory color. Here are a few examples of a jeep to see a complete matte covered to color matched rockers and bottoms of fenders and all in between, just to give you some ideas

https://www.google.com/search?q=pic...Vsc98KHaQIDtgQ_AUoAnoECAwQBA&biw=1920&bih=937

9. KAH24

KAH24 Member

Quick update:

It is definitely a “Line X like” smooth protective coating with several mils of thickness. My fingernail catches under it just as it does on the Line X coating on my truck bed—the only difference is that the rockers/fender base application is smooth vs. rough. When I

3 pics:
    -fingernail catches under the coating from inside the door—a noticeable edge that I can’t peel even with a good deal of pressure anywhere along the edge of any of the inside of any of the doors.
    -Line X from truck bed where the thickness at the edge feels exactly the same as the coating on the panels.
    -Smoothness and color match where it clearly matches the OEM color of the fender flares and lower trim.

Best guess is that some aftermarket company makes a smooth protective coating that was applied and then had OEM color match paint applied.

NOTE: Personally, I’m thankful for previous owner having it done as it looks better than mud-flaps to protect rocker panels.

F5025529-D892-4DC2-A7F8-4F67E91A32BA.jpeg

1F381A3B-8A46-4CD6-8402-FF178E175BD5.jpeg

FE72D00B-CEDC-4283-BCED-967018FD2972.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020 at 12:23 PM
    WillieFlo likes this.
  10. Rick Luna

Rick Luna Member

Wish i had some sort of protection on mine. I have some rash on mine already with less than 2K miles. I'm going to wrap mine in PPF and then maybe run mud flaps when I go off road.