Low oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

guitar2323

Reaction score
Depends on the state/country. OP lists his location as Puerto Rico. As a consumer with new vehicle under warranty, you’re much better off requesting a loaner and extended warranty or vehicle payment from the manufacturer than calling a lawyer.
I s
That’s quite a bit of consumption. If you’re not blowing blue smoke, there’s got to be a leak somewhere. Just like the OP, oil either burns out the exhaust, or drips somewhere.

I have an early-mid build 18 and just about 3k since last oil change and still pretty much in the middle of the dipstick. 13k miles total to this point.

I’m not familiar with the valve cover TSB, but could it be a small slow leak dripping onto the manifold and burning off? When the truck is warm/hot do you have a slight burning oil smell under hood?

It’s got to go somewhere?

I don’t see any leaks nor smell any oil burning. I haven’t seen any blue smoke but I haven’t been looking.

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2019. I bought it in March 2020. It was a leftover with 100 miles on it. I changed the oil at 989 miles. It has 3000 miles on it now and it’s a quart low. I see no leaks.

FWIW, I have a 2019 too that burned 2-3 quarts in the first 6,000 miles. Had dealership do a free synthetic oil change and in the next 10k miles, I burned less than a quart. So, it somehow "fixed" itself.

If you have an early build 2019, you may want to do the valve cover TSB. That addresses the issue for the most part from what I've read.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FWIW, I have a 2019 too that burned 2-3 quarts in the first 6,000 miles. Had dealership do a free synthetic oil change and in the next 10k miles, I burned less than a quart. So, it somehow "fixed" itself.

It’s not that if “fixed” itself, it’s that it finally broken in. It’s normal for all engines to consume some oil during break-in as the piston rings mate with the cylinder bores, especially high performance engines. The engine should be considered fully broken in at 10,000 miles.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2019. I bought it in March 2020. It was a leftover with 100 miles on it. I changed the oil at 989 miles. It has 3000 miles on it now and it’s a quart low. I see no leaks.

It is most like likely being consumed by the PCV system. With modern semi-synthetic and full synthetic oils, you won’t see blue smoke unless it’s burning a massive amount of oil.

What is your build date?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The only date I can find is on the white label on the driver side door jam. 02/19

That build date pre-clean production on the Valve Covers; your truck qualifies for TSB 20-2294. The procedure has the dealer update the PCM software and perform an oil consumption test. If the engine consumes 1 quart in 3,000 miles or less, they will then replace the valve covers to resolve the issue.

GR8Ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FordTechOne- what is the cut off date for this TSB? I think I’m March or April ‘19 build.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FordTechOne- what is the cut off date for this TSB? I think I’m March or April ‘19 build.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cutoff for the Valve Cover replacement was 4/1/2019, but all 2017-2020 models qualify for the PCM calibration update that is included in the same TSB.

guitar2323

Reaction score
That build date pre-clean production on the Valve Covers; your truck qualifies for TSB 20-2294. The procedure has the dealer update the PCM software and perform an oil consumption test. If the engine consumes 1 quart in 3,000 miles or less, they will then replace the valve covers to resolve the issue.
If the valve covers need to be replaced,is it’s pretty straightforward procedure? Is the oil consumption done by them or do I have to drive it and check the oil periodically?