Low Oil Pressure Warning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LouK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was out driving today and turned left and gave some throttle. "Low Oil Pressure" flashes red and is showing zero, I coast over to the side of the road. Oil level is good, nothing blew out the back and no mess anywhere in the engine bay or under.
Turn the truck back on everything normal.

Truck already has oil changed scheduled next week so it will get looked at then. I'm 100% stock 17 with 41K miles
I have read other threads and saw sensors in one, another mentioned a cracked valve cover soaked wiring.
Anyone have any other info on this? things to look out for in the next few days before it goes in for service?

Justin3773

Reaction score
Hi there I had this happen once 5 months ago. I just restarted truck and it never came back I was about 3/4 of the way to my oil change interval

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2018 with a cobb accessport that I monitor oil pressure and temperature. I had this happen once with the gauge reading zero and the warning light with a de tune while driving. The AP was reading good oil pressure so I wasn’t to worried. Pulled over and cleared the code that popped up and restarted. Never happened again but it made me look at the gauge on start ups

Jace21583

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had this happen, light wouldn't go off. Had it towed to the dealership...new motor.

SantiagoBR17

Reaction score
This also happened to me. I changed the oil sending Sensor and have not had any issues since. Make sure you clean your electrical connection with some cleaner.

OP
OP
LouK

LouK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had this happen, light wouldn't go off. Had it towed to the dealership...new motor.
I mean.. a new motor under warranty and only pay my 50 bucks deductible wouldn't be a bad deal lol. Truck has been running fine ever since. no noises, smoke, or anything out of the ordinary. my guess at this point was some random glitch. I will update if/when they find the cause.

Jesse1983

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean.. a new motor under warranty and only pay my 50 bucks deductible wouldn't be a bad deal lol. Truck has been running fine ever since. no noises, smoke, or anything out of the ordinary. my guess at this point was some random glitch. I will update if/when they find the cause.

Any update here? Tonight I was at a red light with nothing but open road ahead of me so I decided to burn some fuel. Was looking pretty badass I'm sure until the truck basically shut off, flashed the low oil pressure warning, and the gauge showed red all the way to L. I pulled over and checked the dipstick and there was oil all over it, top to bottom. Restarted the truck without issue, lights, or warnings. Seemed to drive home fine though I didn't really test the limits. Doesn't appear to be leaking but I'll check the floor again in the morning. I am due for an oil change and will take it in soon. Just curious what the resolution here was.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your problem is low oil level combined with WOT acceleration. It’s a known fact that the engine oil pickup is at the front of the oil pan sump such that it can be uncovered in max acceleration if the oil is even a little low. If you’re tuned making more power it can be uncovered even if the oil is at the full mark. I forget which tuner who initially identified the issue, but I’ve verified that the oil pressure does dip under tuned acceleration conditions unless you run about 1/2 qt extra.

Jesse1983

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your problem is low oil level combined with WOT acceleration. It’s a known fact that the engine oil pickup is at the front of the oil pan sump such that it can be uncovered in max acceleration if the oil is even a little low. If you’re tuned making more power it can be uncovered even if the oil is at the full mark. I forget which tuner who initially identified the issue, but I’ve verified that the oil pressure does dip under tuned acceleration conditions unless you run about 1/2 qt extra.

Thank you!