GEN 1 Low Oil Pressure on Startup - NEED HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miamiraptor72

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Ive lurked on this forum for years now but coming to guys for some assistance.

My serpentine belt recently broke and I pulled off to the side of the road as quick as I could. Engine temp got a high. But not all the way to the top before I stopped and shut it off. I got it towed to my local dealer where they replaced the belt and my water pump as that is what they claimed made the belt fail.

I left the dealer, after losing $500 to them, and drove home and parked the truck for about a week. As I have a corporate car I don't use it that often. But when I went to use it again I got the low oil pressure light upon startup. Just for a few seconds and it went away. I turned off and restarted and it didn't happen again. But then happened the next time I started the truck and always happens after its left for a few hours. But light never stays on for more than 10 seconds.

There is no knocking, ticking, or any sounds coming from the engine. (besides that squealing power steering pump)

I did some research and ended up replacing the oil, oil filter, oil sending unit, and pigtail for sending unit. These were all motorcraft parts. But to no luck, I still get the same issue. So I took the truck back into my local ford where they wanted to replace the oil sending unit again. Which I didn't agree with but they were positive it was that.. they replaced the unit but still same issue. Then told me they will open up the engine to see what's wrong which will cost me another $500. But it's looking like a new engine from what their tech says.

I have a feeling the pickup tube is blocked or oil pump is damaged. Which is what I told them when I first took it in but they ignored me and gave attitude for my recommendation. Guess they dont like young guys giving pointers.

Its a 2013 Raptor 6.2 with 72,000 miles. I personally do not see any indicators that quantify a new engine, does anyone have some advice or any experience with these symptoms? Is the dealer trying to take the **** on me for being young and ignorant?

COBRA90GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Approximately how long/how many miles (?) did the motor run for when the belt broke loose ?

Something doesn't compute; might not be a bad idea to have an independent repair shop take a look and get a 2nd opinion. Unless you are using an (extended?) warranty at a Ford dealership.

Are you parked on a severe incline / driveway & what oil weight are you using btw ?

Seem to remember a few others on the msg board dealing with a very short duration "low oil" warning light at initial engine start-up. Can't recall what the culprit was but there might be a few threads on the matter buried somewhere in the 1st gen section of the board if you can run a search...g'luck !