Low Mileage Maintenance Schedule

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a WRX STI for a while. Then I graduated high school. Gold rims and loud mufflers are fun at this point in your life.

You lose compression on #3 yet?

Nope and my car is included in the lifetime class action suit so if it does then subaru of America will fix it. I understand the target market for the car as it is the second one I have owned. It gets more looks than a GT350 or hellcat so I feel good about it plus it has picked up some cool trophies at the local car shows.

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope and my car is included in the lifetime class action suit so if it does then subaru of America will fix it. I understand the target market for the car as it is the second one I have owned. It gets more looks than a GT350 or hellcat so I feel good about it plus it has picked up some cool trophies at the local car shows.

So your logic is keep a defective engine that struggles to make stock HP because you might be able to have Subaru fix it when compression is lost? No judgment, just curious?

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So your logic is keep a defective engine that struggles to make stock HP because you might be able to have Subaru fix it when compression is lost? No judgment, just curious?

I have owned two of these and as you call it have never lost compression or blew my engine up. Of course I don't make sense less modifications.

Oh and subaru replaced the clutch on my stock car with less than 10 thousand miles on it. Subaru customer service is light years beyond anything Ford does. Ford will argue with you over little warranty repairs.

OP
OP
IT8NTEZ

IT8NTEZ

Reaction score
Thanks all. Good points.

Full synthetic oil annually. Brake fluid 2 years because it's hydrophilic.

Will drain trans and diff at 4 years.

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned two of these and as you call it have never lost compression or blew my engine up. Of course I don't make sense less modifications.

Oh and subaru replaced the clutch on my stock car with less than 10 thousand miles on it. Subaru customer service is light years beyond anything Ford does. Ford will argue with you over little warranty repairs.

That’s an interesting way to live. I guess I word prefer to get a car that doesn’t need that level of support for defective parts (Maybe an Evo or S3/S4?) but to each his own.

shelteredraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '17 has 9700.xx and I run Red Line in it. I have to keep resetting the reminder because it keeps bugging me to change oil that has 1200 miles on it. I've changed the oil 5 times....

And it sits in climate control.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s an interesting way to live. I guess I word prefer to get a car that doesn’t need that level of support for defective parts (Maybe an Evo or S3/S4?) but to each his own.

Why all the subie hate? I like some Audi’s, but you can poke fun @ an STI while the S3/S4 are based on bargain basement platforms from VW & an Evo from a company I’m not even sure makes passenger vehicles anymore & I know doesn’t make the Evo anymore.

I would like an STI to fit my need/desire for a “bad weather sporty toy DD w/ stickshift that I can beat crap out of on city roads”

as far as OPs question - I’d treat it like my Z06- as I put 3-5k a year on it & change oil before storage & usually 500 miles or less after coming out of storage. I use amsoil signature series 0w40 in that- basically best oil $$$ can buy- but I also live in MA & the extreme temp fluctuations in my garage I’m sure wear down the oil & generate some condensation. I would also recommend doing a swap of the coolant/diff/brake fluids after 3 years too even if mileage is low.

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why all the subie hate? I like some Audi’s, but you can poke fun @ an STI while the S3/S4 are based on bargain basement platforms from VW & an Evo from a company I’m not even sure makes passenger vehicles anymore & I know doesn’t make the Evo anymore.

I would like an STI to fit my need/desire for a “bad weather sporty toy DD w/ stickshift that I can beat crap out of on city roads”

I think they just have a bad rap because they are driven by high school kids and people that care more about the sound of the engine than the performance of the engine. A boxer in a front engine/AWD turbo application is a really bad idea from an engineering perspective but Subaru marketing combined with Subaru fan boys and flamboyant body work seems to not let this idea die off. I like Subaru’s in general but the STI is a horrible idea.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You do realize that the STI stands for subaru technica international right? They are a rally car legend especially with the legendary 22B. I get it in America that they are unknown but rally cross is picking up a fan base here. I love the feel of the car and AWD in a Hot rod package. You may not like the car but that doesn't mean it is not cool. Prodrive and Vermont rally car make sti race cars, and STI holds the fastest isle of man record within one minute of a sport bike something that will not be matched by a mustang, gtr or a be all gt40.