Low Idle Issues / Stalling - Solved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thiccboi

Reaction score
Posting this in case someone else googles their symptoms & comes across this post.

2011 Raptor - 6.2L Dyno'd ~160k miles, 40k miles on new motor/trans.

Symptoms: Truck out of nowhere stalled on the highway during rush hour and displayed the "low oil pressure warning". *panicked.
She cranked back up just fine BUT left no CELs. I went all these years without doing the Fuse 27 mod so I thought that was it.
Pulled fuse, it was melted. I figured that was my issue. wrong. Post fuse mod, truck stalled leaving driveway lmao

I then started googling, saw posts saying that it may be the crankshaft position sensor and or torque convertor. First of all, that SOB sensor is in a tough spot, so I ignored that possibility for last.
I then began searching for vacuum leaks and actually found some! My CAI hoses were brittle and leaking and I was missing one bolt on my MAF, leaving a gap. Still, the truck kept stalling AND the RPMS while left in neutral would fluctuate ~200 RPMS if kept steady at a certain RPM.

I replaced MAF. no dice.
I replaced PCV Valve. no dice
This was v hard to diag without any CELs. I gave up and towed it to a shop for professional diagnosis.

The shop figured out the issue within a few days, I had 3 ignition coils arcing! I had them replace those 3 and when I brought the truck home I replaced all wires/ spark plugs.
What is odd is that I replaced all coils in 2020, so about 15k miles ago with OEM parts. I'm gonna make the educated assumption that the tune shortened the living shit out of the ignition components.

The truck was dyno tuned by a performance shop, so it shouldn't be a surprise that some stuff had a shorter life span. I'm just curious as to what ELSE will fail with time lol

I hope this helps someone else out.

Marlboroman

Reaction score
Well your logic is flawed. Just yesterday I did my coils,plugs, and wires. I too had one arcing. About a two inch arc in fact running the body of the coil. Anyway I bought a 100 dollar set off Amazon 2 years ago(83k miles). Only the one failed, truck is tuned so I don’t think it has anything to do with it. I was able to source the 2 fomoco coils I needed to make my old set complete again. They are on the truck now. I’d run whatever as long it’s in a full set. Tune or no tune.

OP
OP
T

thiccboi

Reaction score
hows MY logic flawed when it solved MY problem? fair assumption to make that tunes, especially a dyno tune, will shorten the lifespan of certain parts.

Marlboroman

Reaction score
Well in short there are thousands of well modded/tuned trucks on this forum not experiencing premature coil pack pack failure or any other. A bad tune can easily give you headaches much worse than a coil pack.