Low End 2019 B&O Upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you are looking for a cheap, easy bump, FatMat and Polyfill do wonders to pump up the power of your sub, which makes the whole system sound fuller. Just be sure to throw the FatMat in the garage for a few days when you get it, because it smells like cat ****. Hush has some really nice stuff for reasonable prices if you want to go in a little deeper.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/why-does-everyone-hate-the-b-o-stereo.76457/page-17
Dynamat on the doors helps too.

And it doesn’t smell like cat ****. It smells like mango and burnt hair.

I did the matting on my 19 over the weekend and it improved the sound like it did on my 18.

I get it when audio vendors try and push to make some coin but few people want the high end audio or to spend a lot for just a slight improvement.

Wrap the plastic sub with dynamat and if you like it, done. If not, wrap the doors and done.

Wrapping the doors will keep a lot of road noise out and will improve the audio a lot.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just saw this thread with a different woofer in the stock enclosure. The guy ran an amp as well. I wonder if there could be any gains form just swapping the sub and powering it off the stock amp.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/kicker-sub-upgrade.71923/

I don't think so...you're still going to be subject to B&O headunit's bass settings/rolloff. I think there is a way to set the sub to Kicker mode in Forscan, but I don't recall if that will override the B&O programming, and it's still not going to give you a clean signal. Without adding NAV-TV and amps, your "cheap" options are speaker upgrades, wrapping/filling the sub, and then the sub driver replacement with an amp. JBL and Infinity make component replacements for the front speakers that are 3ohm units/will play louder and give better mid-bass than the stock units. There are certainly other options, as well. I would not replace the rear speakers in the B&O system without doing a full upgrade...the B&O HU just doesn't send enough signal back there...pure fill. The B&O system also is very source-sensitive, and Ford has the "bad" sat tuner. I would get your truck, live with it for a while over many sources, and then see what you want to do.

Last edited:

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bad sat tuner?

Sirius just sounds the muddiest of all sources you can feed into the B&O. Despite that, I still use it for when I need additional music. HD Radio is a lot better and streaming from your phone through say Pandora sounds even better.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad sat tuner?

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/siriusxm-then-and-now

There were two tuners originally for factory headunits...XM tuners and Sirius tuners, and now a SiriusXM tuner. Car companies that partnered with XM originally had XM tuners, and these had much better sound quality. Sirius' signal is very compressed (much more so than XM's, and some say as much as 64kbps), has artifacts in it, and seems to have a bass boost. Anyone who's heard sat radio in, say an older Audi, Mercedes, or Chrysler product knows that the sat radio signal is much better than what is in Sirius cars, like Fords. Since the merger, most of the content/channels are Sirius survivors, and I don't know how many, if any, automaker's units still have the XM-based tuner and better signal/product.

Their streaming offerings are much better, as are the streaming services.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sirius just sounds the muddiest of all sources you can feed into the B&O. Despite that, I still use it for when I need additional music. HD Radio is a lot better and streaming from your phone through say Pandora sounds even better.

Thanks for the clarification. I’ve had Sat radio since 2002, but I think I’m over it now. Between podcasts and Spotify I don’t use it much anymore.