Low budget bed mounted spare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Conejoracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should call this no budget, as it didn't require buying anything. I wanted to bed mount my spare tire, but didn't really see a mount I liked for the money.
I looked at the stock tire hoist and decided it could work in reverse. I removed the hoist, and noticed I would have to trim 3 metal tabs off, one from the cross member and two off the hoist itself. These are small tabs that came off quickly with a grinder. I reinstalled the hoist upside down and then drilled a 2.5" hole in the bed directly above the hoist centerline. I cleaned up all the metal shavings, painted the edge, and installed the tire. Using the OEM jack rods, I was able to snug the tire down very tightly through the factory access hole in the bumper. I plan on adding a locking cable for security and to act as a secondary restraint should the OEM cable fail. This security cable can go through the tire, the 2.5" hole, and wrap around the frame cross member. This mod took me about an hour.
If I later decide to go with a conventional bed mount, I can bolt the base to the frame cross member where the tire hoist mounts and utilize the existing 2.5" hole without making more holes in the bed for the base mount.
se8a5u5u.jpg

epupazet.jpg

u5yqapa9.jpg

dujehe2e.jpg

Last edited:

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Now that's creative right there never ever thought of turning the stock one upside down haha I think you're gonna see a lot more doing this!! Including me for now! Great job man

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Note, wrap a rope around the tire to keep the horizontal strap around the tire. The hooks pulled the vertical tie down over the tire and the tire flipped up. Wrapped a loop roped around the tire to keep the tie down in line with the tread and it worked great.