Loud pop and hard stutter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caljae1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2020 SCREW with less then 3k on it. Took the kido’s for a drive in sport mode. All asphalt country roads. Turning on to the main road. WOT. Engine bogged down and there was a loud pop from the transmission. Didn’t happen again however the transmission shifted hard between 2 and 3 for the remainder of the drive. Running standard fuel. Only engine mod so far is a whippel CAI. I had this happen once in my 2018 as well, didn’t pay much attention to it at the time. Any thoughts as to what this was?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
any chance you were in 4a instead of 2h? The pop could have been a cv joint

as to the bogging, were you fully straight from the turn before WOT? If not, my money is on traction/stability control. Street modes won’t give you full power with the steering wheel turned sharply. The truck senses any traction loss and NO FUN FOR YOU.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any rough idle? Recent tank of fuel? Like smurfslayer mentioned it could be one of the electronic nannies kicking in, or your charge air intake tube, it seems like sometimes the clamps are not tight enough

Have you tried to duplicate it?

OP
OP
Caljae1

Caljae1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
any chance you were in 4a instead of 2h? The pop could have been a cv joint

as to the bogging, were you fully straight from the turn before WOT? If not, my money is on traction/stability control. Street modes won’t give you full power with the steering wheel turned sharply. The truck senses any traction loss and NO FUN FOR YOU.

Thanks for the response. No on the 4A. Yes, pedal was to the floor while still in the turn. I was trying to time the boost to loosen up the rear tires as I exited the turn. Usually TC will let them chirp. The loss if power didn’t feel like the TC to violent. Then again, no other signs of an issue since that drive. However I’m hesitant to stomp on it now and I hate that feeling‍♂️.

OP
OP
Caljae1

Caljae1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any rough idle? Recent tank of fuel? Like smurfslayer mentioned it could be one of the electronic nannies kicking in, or your charge air intake tube, it seems like sometimes the clamps are not tight enough

Have you tried to duplicate it?

Good point in the fuel. Had to drop down from 93 to 89 the tank prior. But i had completely cycled the fuel and was on the 2nd tank of 89.

checking clamps and seals today. Going to go stand on it this afternoon and see if i can duplicate the problem.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point in the fuel. Had to drop down from 93 to 89 the tank prior. But i had completely cycled the fuel and was on the 2nd tank of 89.

checking clamps and seals today. Going to go stand on it this afternoon and see if i can duplicate the problem.

Any particular reason you’re running 89?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
T/C will let you spin when you’re straight, but cuts the fun if your wheels are cut in a street mode. Not all the way, but I think this is actually stability control. I usually try to roll start a sharp turn and then gas it, or like you describe gas it and then turn, but if you trip stability control it just chops the throttle. You go through this in Raptor Assault when you do the pea gravel course in 2h normal mode.

I’ll say this - don’t ever rely on the nannies to keep you out of the weeds. I routinely use 4a and even on dry pavement I could trip stability control leaving the gym - 90 degree right turn from a stop sign, 45mph divided hwy.

I left a local HEB here on wet pavement - again, 4a, left 90 degree turn onto a 55 mph divided hwy. I wasn’t even half throttle and even trying to modulate I got sideways - torque arm and all... Stability control never even tripped.

I felt like the inconsistency of engagement was a bit off.