Loud clunk noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAPTOR818

Reaction score
Waz up , I have a 2018 Raptor Anybody having issues with a loud noise when stoping or accelerating at low speed ,it sounds like there something in my bed and it kind of slams into the back of the bed wall, usually when I finish pumping gas it happends its been doing this for months, today I decided to post my issues, because coming to a stop at a light it did the same thing bu this time it sounded like a tire exploded so I was like wow I got a flat tire or something my son was in the booster seat he even got scared . I stopped looked under the truck and nothing ,no lights came on or anything weird. If anybody's been having that issue let me know please.

IMG_20180830_131826_359.jpg

SD64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2019 sometimes makes a loud clunk while slowing down at low speeds. Was told by the dealer it is a characteristic of the 10-speed transmission. Usually under 4th gear and always low speeds while slowing to a stop from under 30 mph. Very noticeable with the windows down but I can not replicate it for the service dept unless they take the truck and drive it for a week because it’s that intermittent. I’ve just stopped driving around with my windows down haha.

OP
OP
RAPTOR818

RAPTOR818

Reaction score
Yeah I kow u take it to the dealer and it doesn't do it wack lol.. ok thank you man have a nice day.

evoke35

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it the exhaust back firing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RAPTOR818

RAPTOR818

Reaction score
I guess so I've read about it it has something to do with the gas it's like a back fire it doesn't do it all the time.but I've noticed it when I put gas and I only fill it up a little bit over half tank ‍♂️ , weird and u know how that goes at the dealer if u telling what's going on ,how the hell you explain that shit to them . Other than that my camphasers have gone out twice already just so u know ‍♂️SMH

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Older post I realize, but anyone find the definitive cause of this clunking? On several occasions I've heard the same clunking from the rear (sounds like something is rolling around in the bed). Always when going slow and slowing down for a stop sign/light. Has only happened 3 or 5 times on my 2018 with 10500 miles...could it be the driveshaft splines need greasing like the days of old? My 2005 F-150 SCREW clunked from the drivetrain and it turned out the driveshaft splines needed greasing....

McM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear..From what I have been reading, it sounds like some 10 speeds are doing what the 8 speeds are doing, it even looks like a class action started for the 10 speeds also. I know first hand about the 8 speed. It happens at random times right? If you make a gradual slow down to a stop it really doesn't happen. If you make a slight abrupt stop it happens right? That's what happens to my 8 speed. Here are the class actions. Is your's doing what it states? Remember GM and ford worked together on building the 10 speed.

https://www.classaction.org/gm-8-speed-transmission-defect-lawsuits

https://www.classaction.org/news/cl...ion-prone-to-shifting-harshly-and-erratically

Refugio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be that the slip-yolk on yhe drive shaft needs greasing.
My f-250 used to fo that when it went dry on grease