Lots of suspension creeking and clunking noise when off-roading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caliraptor2lit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how much of this is the normal Raptor "Clunk" but everytime I take my truck off road. Almost every major bump causes creeks and clunks. More so after I got my shocks rebuilt and stiffened. Are these trucks like this? Or should I explore what's doing it?

Last edited:

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Does it have the rear bump stop kit? That could be the noise otherwise I’d explore the clunk not so much the squeaks get lube for that.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about squeaks but clunks generally indicate too much play somewhere; upper & lower balljoints can make a lot of noise from the front when they start to wear out, some people get noise from the front driveshaft slip yoke when the rear goes through full travel, and of course anything loose from lug nuts to tie rods shouldn't be banging around...

OP
OP
Caliraptor2lit

Caliraptor2lit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. It's really hard to tell where it's coming from...do u think the ball joints would be worn out if I have a 2013 with 45K miles on it? It sounds like metal clunking if I hit any rough cement/ rock like a speed bump

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine squeaks and creaks too, especially after a rough day. Every few months I hit all rubber pivot points with WD-40 Silicone. Then lll jack up the rear, tap in a pry bar to open up each leaf and put a blob of grease on each leaf spring friction pad. A big syringe filled with marine grease makes it easy. Once you get it down it takes about 15 mins. This has seemed to eliminate 90% of the issue and totally eliminated my random leaf spring clunk on low speed turns.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. It's really hard to tell where it's coming from...do u think the ball joints would be worn out if I have a 2013 with 45K miles on it? It sounds like metal clunking if I hit any rough cement/ rock like a speed bump

It is possible, stock balljoints aren't greasable, and the upper you have to replace the whole UCA because you can't replace just the balljoint, but both are really easy to diagnose with a jack and a prybar (along with the tie rods):

You might also check torque on everything you had apart when the shocks were rebuilt, factory locknuts don't always stay locked when reused; so lower shock bolt, upper shock nuts and spacer thing, sway bar ends, etc.

Dozer466

Reaction score
Do you have aftermarket tie rods? I know the aluminum clevis’s on mine creek a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Caliraptor2lit

Caliraptor2lit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than just the rebuild shocks set to
Mid perch and a bumpstop kit. Everything is stock. Thanks for your help you guys. I've gotten my truck inspected a few times and everybody says everything looks good.

---------- Post added at 03:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 AM ----------

I'm gonna try spraying down everything with WD40 anyhow. I'm going to hit Pismo Beach this Saturday and I don't want all that salty water to get after my teuck