GEN 2 Lost Key Fob - Bad Guys May Be Able To Track It To My Address

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Genuine question. Do you guys carry your car keys when you are traveling or not with the car? I hate having crap in my pocket so if I was in a rental I would not be carrying my key with me.
Only if I leave my car at the airport. Heck, I don't even take my key when I go for a walk or ride with the wife, I've got a house key on a ring by itself that goes with me unless I'm driving.

OP
OP
B

Basil S2K

Reaction score
I know it’s hard when something emotionally dangerous happens but I think you have a greater chance of winning the lottery (and I hope you do!).

For there to be a problem you have to line up a whole bunch of highly unlikely events in perfect order. You have to assume:
1) that you actually lost the key in the rental (it didn’t fall out of a pocket, get kicked out when removing items from the rental, left somewhere else, misplaced, accidentally thrown away, left at tsa at the airport, etc).
2) the rental cleaning crew did not locate the key while ensuring the rest of the car was completely clean
3) the rental cleaning crew also missed discarding your rental agreement/receipt (they must be really bad cleaners)
4) the person who legitimately rented the car after you is a legitimately bad person (instead of being a relatively good person like yourself and 99.999% of the other renters).
5) they somehow found both the fob AND the receipt (that the cleaners missed).
6) that they have the time, resources, and motivation to travel literally across the country to lift your car. That the bad guys have the resources to do this but aren’t good enough at their normal bad things to be too busy or unmotivated. In other words, that this is both their best option AND they have the means to execute on it.
7) that the bad guys don’t assume you’ve already visited the dealer and had the fob codes changed/reprogrammed.
8) that your insurance will somehow blame you for the theft and refuse to payout.

The good news is that if all of those things were both true and successful, they will be actually taking your truck and not just trashing it on a joyride (you don’t want a trashed truck back; joyriders scare me far more than thieves).

I know how these things create anxiety, especially with your alarm going off (which wouldn’t be from the thieves since they have a working fob), but you have to remove the emotion and get out of your head. We are all often our own worst enemies. If you must do something, call you insurance agent and have him lower your deductible to $0 for the next 30 days.
Thank you, That actually made me feel better.