Lost Brakes on R NOW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can do it on the gen3 too. The R, I’m not sure. I use Baja and 2wd for most of my dirt/lakebed driving. Have hit lots of washboards but I’m not hitting the brakes in the middle of washboards. Just the gas.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I have a 22 Raptor with 37s, and a 23 R

Both trucks have lost brakes many times. Oddly the 37 and the R lost the brakes at almost the exact same spot to the foot @ mile 550 on a 1000 miles trip.

The root cause is the Wash board roads is freaking out the braking system. When I mean no brakes, I mean the pedal hits the floor and every alarm is going off. And you must disconnect the negative battery for 20 min to reset the computer.

Bottom line is the trucks computers do not like Washboard roads. Both trucks have same issue. Even reset the same issue happens within 5-10 miles of it.

Ford WTF

It took a while for this to register, but the fancy electronic ABS on the bmw motorcycle failed exactly the same way on Susten pass, almost killing me and the mrs. Fault; no brakes, oh $hit, downshift like mad, lean like crazy to make the turn. Once the fault clears, normal brakes return. Happened 2x on the pass. I pulled over and shut down after the first one, which reset the damn thing. We gently navigate the last 10 or so hairpins and we literally throw the fault coming into Andermatt.

Can you disable ABS some way, somehow as in completely and will the brakes operate like normal / lockup - you know, like most of us grew up with and managed to live through... ?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
pulling the abs fuse is an option on some bikes...

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can you disable ABS some way, somehow as in completely and will the brakes operate like normal / lockup - you know, like most of us grew up with and managed to live through... ?
I've messed around with my gen 2 and Baja mode greatly improves braking on washboard. It feels like they're locking up.