GEN 2 Loss of power, under heavy accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Roger that.

Its 2019 so a bad spark plug can immobilize an entire ******* engine. lol

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
P1548 is probably a good place to start - clean/replace the air filter. The ECU is comparing barometric pressure to measured and modeled pressures along the intake tract. If the differences are significant, it'll infer that the air filter is clogged and providing restriction to the engine. It could also be worthwhile to check the charge pipes and BOV for leaking under boost - based on our investigation of how the code is triggered, I could see how a small post-turbo boost leak could mimic the fault conditions (small enough leak that the turbos can work harder to compensate for the underboost, avoiding an underboost code, but enough of a measured or modeled pressure differential that this code is thrown). The boost control system will attempt to correct for the restriction by running the turbos harder, which can create excess exhaust manifold pressure and contribute to misfiring.

Let me ask you this...

Since I removed the tune, I have had NO CELs even though I'm running SPD downpipes. I have done at least 10 WOT runs with no hesitation in any gears. I noticed at WOT the boost is just around 17 on the dash (yes I don't have a fancy boost gauge for accuracy and I'm back to stock PCM). Do you think that the added boost from the tune is asking too much from the engine and its over working everything that it takes to make more boost?

In laymans terms, if I never ran a marathon (stock engine), then all of a sudden I have to run a ******* marathon (tuned), I'm going to be over worked and dehydrated because me, the engine, has never had to work that hard. Again, I'm just curious that is all. Maybe I just need the PCM update from Ford or maybe there is a bigger issue...

COBB Tuning

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Let me ask you this...

Since I removed the tune, I have had NO CELs even though I'm running SPD downpipes. I have done at least 10 WOT runs with no hesitation in any gears. I noticed at WOT the boost is just around 17 on the dash (yes I don't have a fancy boost gauge for accuracy and I'm back to stock PCM). Do you think that the added boost from the tune is asking too much from the engine and its over working everything that it takes to make more boost?

In laymans terms, if I never ran a marathon (stock engine), then all of a sudden I have to run a ******* marathon (tuned), I'm going to be over worked and dehydrated because me, the engine, has never had to work that hard. Again, I'm just curious that is all. Maybe I just need the PCM update from Ford or maybe there is a bigger issue...

The extra boost could be magnifying an underlying problem. The air filter restriction code is a great example of this - the error threshold is a fixed value, and not proportional to maximum boost. As you request more airflow from the turbos, the pressure values compared for the P1548 code to be thrown will grow farther and farther apart. If you want to send in some datalogs, I'd be happy to take a look to see if we can find some fix suggestions.

COBB Tuning

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Datalogs without the tune?

With and without would be ideal. You will have to install the Accessport in order datalog, so flash the Stage 0 map for the stock runs. Send those in to [email protected], and I'll get my eyes on em.

If it were my truck, I would probably wait to take these datalogs/go WOT until after it went to the dealership to address that engine noise. Don't want to pressure you to drive it hard.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was my experience. The phasers were loose. While on a stock tune the amount of overlap or lack thereof under WOT wasn’t enough to trigger a protective function. However with slightly more boost and aggressive ignition tables the slip in the cam timing three general and specific cylinder misfire codes, limp mode and flashing CEL. The problem was there either way.

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So an adjustment of your original phasers or NEW phaser with PCM flash/update?

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I spoke with a long time tuner friend of mine (27 years). He suggest that I have to re-sync the cam phasers and PCM every-time the car is tuned. He has a few raptors and other eco boosted vehicles running at 36 boost with no issues thus far. He also highly suggest I re-gap at .024 vs the .028 that its at now.

Is it literally a proceed that has to be done every-time the vehicle is flashed.

Thoughts?