GEN 2 Loss of power/pre-collision light/limp mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I like Taco`s but they do some major intestinal damage at times.

Fordtechone, you mention that codes may still be in memory. Do they eventually get cleared out of memory after some time? Does the computer only store certain codes or all of them?
Thanks again for all of your help on the site. Very much appreciated

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey I like Taco`s but they do some major intestinal damage at times.

Fordtechone, you mention that codes may still be in memory. Do they eventually get cleared out of memory after some time? Does the computer only store certain codes or all of them?
Thanks again for all of your help on the site. Very much appreciated

Tacos are great. The kind you eat.

Toyota Tacos are rust bucket junk. Any vehicle still using drum brakes in 2020 is a neglected, antiquated joke. That's Toyota's MO.

As far as DTCs, yes, they will eventually clear after a certain amount of drive cycles in which the fault does not re-occur. Every module contains a different strategy based on the severity of the DTC. Modules do not limit DTC capability by storage capacity; they will list every DTC set at the time of the event regardless of severity. How long a DTC is stored is entirely dependent on the nature of the fault and the module that set it.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the education.

Like I said before, it is very much appreciated and you help take a lot of the guessing out of who knows what and that helps us all out in the long run.

You should start up a web page like some others have for online diagnostics. People pay you a set price to help them fix their vehicle online, hell even Doctors are doing it now because of Covid -19

OP
OP
Hdaniel85

Hdaniel85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be related to elevation, but that is not the root cause. The PCM has an internal barometer to compensate for changes in altitude. You should never encounter the issue you described just from high altitude conditions.

Do you have access to ForScan? I’d be curious to see what kind of DTCs were set that may still be in memory.

As for your Taco buddy, remind him that his truck has a Sienna minivan engine and was built in Mexico. Those Toy fans sure like to run their mouths.

I unfortunately do not have access to an OBDII reader, I will look into getting one for sure, I know they are helpful (even just for resetting a CEL). Any preferred brand? I had a cheap one for my Malibu but it went with the car when I sold it (forgot to grab it).

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne I did not see any diagnostic codes leftover. Now that I have an OBDII reader and FORscan I will keep an eye on it. I plan on going to a high altitude location again in the next few months.

Sounds good, keep your OBDLink and ForScan with you on the trip so if the concern occurs again you can pull DTCs before they clear out.

NachoRaptors

Reaction score
Hi all,

I own a 2019 Ford Raptor, no mods. I was on a road trip from Southern California (roughly sea level) to Brians Head, Utah. Upon arriving, I went to pass a slower moving truck, so I accelerated how I would normally pass, then the pre-collision light came on, and the vehicle went into a low power mode. I couldn't go faster than 45mph (or so it seemed). Brians Head Utah is roughly 9600 feet in elevation.

The CEL came on, I did not have a ODBII reader available. I stopped at an overlook, let the vehicle sit for a few minutes and turned my vehicle back on, it still showed the CEL and I was in limp mode. I assumed it was probably elevation, so I ended up parking the vehicle at the cabin and we didn't travel the rest of the day. In the morning, CEL is gone and I have full power.

I drove my vehicle back to SoCal with no issues.

I was wondering if this was an issue with the elevation? I did not take it into the dealer yet, just wanted some thoughts (this has been a few week since this occurred, no issues since then).

edit: forgot to add we spent a few days in Brians Head and only the 1st day there was issues, I was able to drive around at high elevation with full power the next day.

edit edit: forgot to mention, I fill up at mostly Chevron gas stations and this trip was no different.
The 2020 Raptor went to the dealer today in limp mode (The 2012 Raptor had to come to the rescue). Driving along and the driver accident alert went off the truck lost power and went in limp mode (was in 2h going downhill). Brought to KG Ford in SB waiting for the detail...Had a CEL and Wrench light, Trans started acting odd and no turbo but I am sure turbo cuts out in limp.... Thoughts??? Idle was fine and the engine seemed ok too

mchurch0211

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2020 Raptor went to the dealer today in limp mode (The 2012 Raptor had to come to the rescue). Driving along and the driver accident alert went off the truck lost power and went in limp mode (was in 2h going downhill). Brought to KG Ford in SB waiting for the detail...Had a CEL and Wrench light, Trans started acting odd and no turbo but I am sure turbo cuts out in limp.... Thoughts??? Idle was fine and the engine seemed ok too
6.2 to the rescue

OP
OP
Hdaniel85

Hdaniel85

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yeah, hopefully they can find something, sounds exactly what happened to mine. It was so odd, haven't experienced it again and I am about 2k more miles since it occurred.

Did it have the wrench and CEL when you dropped it off? That could be good if they can pull a code and maybe shed some light on this for us.