GEN 2 looking to upgrade rear tail light output

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Toadster

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
first sentence (aside from adding more lights or changing lenses, CHMSL, etc)

I already have a PUTCO tailgate light, just wanting more light output in reverse for $20-30 - not $200-500

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I already have a PUTCO tailgate light, just wanting more light output in reverse for $20-30 - not $200-500

That’s a different thing entirely. You can do it on the cheap, but you’ll be replacing the cheap lights fo’ shizzle. They’re going to environmentally exposed and the cheap, amazon class of lights made by commies for capitalists are NOT water tight, water resistant or weather proof.
<queue the legion of cheaper skates than me to boast how wrong I am. You guys & gals do you>

If you want more reverse light output pick up a set of used squadrons by B/D here on FRF. People are always upgrading. I have squadron sports with wide corner lenses and they are bright as ****. Pros are 2x as powerful but probably overkill for reverse usage. The S1 and S2 class of lights fit better and don’t hang down as low, meaning when you scrape, the lights are less likely to skew.

good luck.

OP
OP
Toadster

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s a different thing entirely. You can do it on the cheap, but you’ll be replacing the cheap lights fo’ shizzle. They’re going to environmentally exposed and the cheap, amazon class of lights made by commies for capitalists are NOT water tight, water resistant or weather proof.
<queue the legion of cheaper skates than me to boast how wrong I am. You guys & gals do you>

If you want more reverse light output pick up a set of used squadrons by B/D here on FRF. People are always upgrading. I have squadron sports with wide corner lenses and they are bright as ****. Pros are 2x as powerful but probably overkill for reverse usage. The S1 and S2 class of lights fit better and don’t hang down as low, meaning when you scrape, the lights are less likely to skew.

good luck.

like I said, not interested in spending $400 on reverse lights - already did $200 on a tailgate bar

so your incandescent bulbs fit the model of water resistant/weather proof?
they're in the same OEM housing that I'd put an LED inside of...

I guess my ask is, are the bulbs in the taillights replaceable?

Last edited:

JorgesRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like I said, not interested in spending $400 on reverse lights - already did $200 on a tailgate bar

so your incandescent bulbs fit the model of water resistant/weather proof?
they're in the same OEM housing that I'd put an LED inside of...

I guess my ask is, are the bulbs in the taillights replaceable?
First sentence, they’re already LED. They’re built in. Have to change the whole thing to change the bulb. You could buy some basic ass F-150 lights and maybe a new harness then some Amazon LEDs to put in, but then again that’d be out of your $20-$30 budget.

So to answer your question very direct, no, aside from adding more lights or changing lenses, CHMSL, etc, you cannot really do much with the closed system LED taillights to “optimize” them.

OP
OP
Toadster

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First sentence, they’re already LED. They’re built in. Have to change the whole thing to change the bulb. You could buy some basic ass F-150 lights and maybe a new harness then some Amazon LEDs to put in, but then again that’d be out of your $20-$30 budget.

So to answer your question very direct, no, aside from adding more lights or changing lenses, CHMSL, etc, you cannot really do much with the closed system LED taillights to “optimize” them.
perfect - so non upgradeable thanks