Looking to off road in Utah next weekend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jfearsome

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm heading to Park City Utah this week (tomorrow) with the Raptor so my boy can play in the Baseball World Series taking place this week. I'm looking to take advantage and find some off roading and camping next weekend in the grate state of Utah. Thinking MOAB is on the top of my list but if anyone out there has some cool plans and wants to meet up please reach out. We're coming from Southern California and don't have a strict time frame for when we need to be back. Only time I was in UT last October for Raptor Assault.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm heading to Park City Utah this week (tomorrow) with the Raptor so my boy can play in the Baseball World Series taking place this week. I'm looking to take advantage and find some off roading and camping next weekend in the grate state of Utah. Thinking MOAB is on the top of my list but if anyone out there has some cool plans and wants to meet up please reach out. We're coming from Southern California and don't have a strict time frame for when we need to be back. Only time I was in UT last October for Raptor Assault.
Good luck in the tournament ;)
If you stop in Vegas on your way to/from SLC give me a shout. Lots of fantastic trails here and I try to get out 2-3x a week. Safe Travels

OP
OP
Jfearsome

Jfearsome

Reaction score
Good luck in the tournament ;)
If you stop in Vegas on your way to/from SLC give me a shout. Lots of fantastic trails here and I try to get out 2-3x a week. Safe Travels
Thanks. Will do. We aren't stopping on the way tomorrow but possibly on the way back. If so, I'll reach out.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Moab is great and there are lots of trails. A little hot now, which is why we are not there. Get the Wells Moab 4 x 4 book. He does a great job of listing trails and difficulty to help you plan trails.

Here is the link on Amazon, but bookstores should have it as well.

OP
OP
Jfearsome

Jfearsome

Reaction score
Moab is great and there are lots of trails. A little hot now, which is why we are not there. Get the Wells Moab 4 x 4 book. He does a great job of listing trails and difficulty to help you plan trails.

Here is the link on Amazon, but bookstores should have it as well.

Thanks for the info. Looks like a good book to have.

harryski

Reaction score
I live in UT and hear guys talk about taking their raptor to Moab. Moab is a cool place for sure, but most trails are for rock crawling not high speed desert running. I've done some of the milder moab trails in my raptor like Hells Revenge and Fins and Things, but honestly I hate hearing truck slide on the rocks and having to jump up and down on my running boards to bend them back into place. I'd also recommend running with with a drop down hitch in to keep you from smashing your exhaust tips. If you go out to moab there are trails starting at the Gemini Bridges trail head that are fun, we also found some really fun trails directly southwest of the airport that were a bunch of fun, complete with small dunes. For me the raptor is the most for fun when you can just haul ***. Other Utah recommendations- anywhere out in the west desert, the Skyline Drive from hwy 6 to I70. Trails around Hanksville up and over the Henry mts(watch for buffalo and trophy mule deer), Hwy 24 to Goblin Valley(don't get stuck in muddy river and be sure to stop and hike little wild horse Canyon), Town of Escalante down hole in the rock rd to lake Powell- lots of slots canyons to hike along this route.

OP
OP
Jfearsome

Jfearsome

Reaction score
I live in UT and hear guys talk about taking their raptor to Moab. Moab is a cool place for sure, but most trails are for rock crawling not high speed desert running. I've done some of the milder moab trails in my raptor like Hells Revenge and Fins and Things, but honestly I hate hearing truck slide on the rocks and having to jump up and down on my running boards to bend them back into place. I'd also recommend running with with a drop down hitch in to keep you from smashing your exhaust tips. If you go out to moab there are trails starting at the Gemini Bridges trail head that are fun, we also found some really fun trails directly southwest of the airport that were a bunch of fun, complete with small dunes. For me the raptor is the most for fun when you can just haul ***. Other Utah recommendations- anywhere out in the west desert, the Skyline Drive from hwy 6 to I70. Trails around Hanksville up and over the Henry mts(watch for buffalo and trophy mule deer), Hwy 24 to Goblin Valley(don't get stuck in muddy river and be sure to stop and hike little wild horse Canyon), Town of Escalante down hole in the rock rd to lake Powell- lots of slots canyons to hike along this route.
Thanks for the info. I’ve gotten plenty of high speed runs in SoCal. Just want to do some scenic overlanding and dispersed camping with my boy. Never been to any of the canyons out here. I’m a bit nervous because of the storms blowing through with flash flooding warnings. We also brought our fishing poles.

OP
OP
Jfearsome

Jfearsome

Reaction score
So, I ended up spending a couple days up north on Strawberry Ridge and Left Hobble Fork and then a couple days down in Capital Reef National Park. It was all great and I now realize I've been missing out on Utah.