Looking to get new tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The major manufacturers all make excellent tires.

In my humble opinion, tire debates only occur because everyone has different priorities—or have not identified what their priorities are. Iam very specific in my specs professionally/personally for every vehicle.

The weight of the Falken AT3W is ideal for me—as the characteristics align with my specific application and priorities.

Figure out what matters to you and you’ll find your tire.
I agree 100%. I’ve been running off road rigs since I was 17 so I’ve had the ability to make mistakes on different tire brands and treads when I was young. Now you see people getting into jeeps and trucks are mid to late 40s for the first time .never driving one and they wonder why mud tires buzz and vibrate in the steering wheel they’re baffled by it.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Cooper ATX LT3's are the best tires I've owned. They are 63lbs (in the OEM size), E rated and quiet AF. The second bullet point on Cooper's site is:
  • Built for heavy hauling and towing

WireNutz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I loved my Ridge Grapplers on my last 150. And I would be running them again if they made them in a factory size load range C for our trucks. I've also really liked Toyo's and Cooper's over the years too. But it's hard to beat the ride of the factory BFG's, so that's what I stick with on the raptor.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been running the Nitto Recon Grapplers in a 35/12.5/17 E and they are about 3lbs heavier then the BFG but ride and drive great. I have towed a bit and they didn’t skip a beat. Great traction on and off road and also great in the rain.

Viral Peas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a set of Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus on sale about 12 months ago and decided to roll the dice. They've held up/worn really well. I do some light off roading (mainly trails) and they've done just fine. They're snow rated but I haven't had the chance to drive in the snow with them so I can't compare them to the stock KO2. In the rain they're just fine.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The thing to remember is the raptor KO2s are special C rated versions of that tire specifically made for the Raptor & weigh like 10-15 lbs less than most any other tire made in 315/70r17 size. So ride quality (plushness) & performance will drop w/ almost any other tire you put in place of the stock KO2. Stiffer sidewalls & heavier weight = harsher ride, less grip in corners, & immediate drop in acceleration & braking performance. And mpg.

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got 52k miles out of the stock BFG’s on my 2019 then replaced with the same. Whatever you do don’t buy them through your dealer. You can buy them elsewhere and the dealer can install if you need them to, but stealership quoted me at $408 a tire. I laughed. Service advisor laughed back. That was the last of our tire discussions lol

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I found a set of Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus on sale about 12 months ago and decided to roll the dice. They've held up/worn really well. I do some light off roading (mainly trails) and they've done just fine. They're snow rated but I haven't had the chance to drive in the snow with them so I can't compare them to the stock KO2. In the rain they're just fine.
They weigh 64lbs... the coopers I linked to weigh 63lbs, and are e rated.

Flatfuse

Reaction score
The stock BFG’s are a good all around tire but a master of none! If you spend half the year on wet roads like I do, stay away - far away- from the BFG’s. If you want snow performance consider the Nokian hakkapeliita, they easily out perform the BFG’s on snow and ice. The DuraTrac’s come in load D, are the same weight, and have have a more aggressive tread for deep snow and off road performance if you want a AT tire. E load tires can ride a little harsh and it’s tough to air down enough to get them to ride as smooth as a C or D rated tire but the BFG is no substitute for a true off road tire for mudding and rock crawling.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m no BFG fanboy by any means, but don’t get all this BFG wet performance negativity. Are people complaining about spinning a right rear pulling out of a parking lot? I have to drive an hour from my house to find a straight flat road. Live on a lake in the hill country. Once I get an hour out, now I’m in the land of Texas 75-85mph speed limits (I’m an almost 10 over type). Never once hydroplaned or felt like I was going to. Also putting on Alcons because I’m HEAVY on the left pedal. So have no point to prove, nor discussion to win, but am somewhat baffled.

Last edited: