Looking to get new tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scarpp

Reaction score
I’m looking to purchase some new tires. I Currently have the stock BFG on my 2020 truck. I am closing in on 44k miles on them. I really like the way they ride, but I am curious if there are better options out there? I tow a 25’ boat and a 28’ travel trailer with the Raptor. I was looking around on the forum and people mentioned Falken, toyo, and Mickey Thompson. I’m curious if anyone has experience with a specific tire that they tow with that isn’t super heavy and is also good for the upstate NY weather. Thanks

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I have 37x12.5R20 Mickey Thompsons. I like them but haven't towed my boat with them yet. If you do tow a lot then probably good to stay with BFGs or Toyos.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I Currently have the stock BFG on my 2020 truck. I am closing in on 44k miles on them. I really like the way they ride, but I am curious if there are better options out there? I tow a 25’ boat and a 28’ travel trailer with the Raptor.

Better is subjective. I’d say based on your comments that you’re going to be hard pressed to find a better tire. If you got 44k out of them and you still have a favorable opinion, replace with the same BFG and take yes for an answer.

The stock tire is partially responsible for the plush(ish) ride, compliance, lack of road noise and they’re a great compromise tire. I don’t think they’re exceptional at any one thing, but they are quite capable off road, and have decent performance all around for the truck. You’re not winning a pavement auto-x with them, but they do a credible job in non pea-soup mud, sand, snow, rain and the like.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put on a second set of stock tires around 34k miles. They’re fine to me. Could’ve gotten a few more miles I’m sure but wanted the fresh set for winter since I’m back to commuting after 5-6 years of not.

shank_guru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in December, I put on another set of BFGs after 55K miles from the stock tires. Wanted General ATX, but they weren't available for months.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Back in December, I put on another set of BFGs after 55K miles from the stock tires. Wanted General ATX, but they weren't available for months.
I also just put new tires on. I went with the Toyo M/T in a 35. Been good so far. Not as soft as the stockers, but they will wear a bit longer. As far as availability, I was told they were backordered for months. I was told that from both Toyo and America's Tire (Discount Tires Direct). I just kept checking the tires.com website and within a week of being told it would be months, there were some that showed up in stock. Just have to check every day. I don't think anyone really knows what they have or are expecting.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine have 39k and they are choppy and loud. I am seriously considering a more highway bias tire. Im so tired of road noise bros.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a fan of Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws (Load Range E) based on my priorities:

1. Performance: After 25k miles on the Raptor—the quiet ride characteristics (city/highway) are better than any AT tire I have owned. No change, no hum, no vibration.

2. Wear: I’ve attached photos. Sumitomo/Falken nailed it. They have an easy 30k left before I’d consider replacement—as this tire has a greater tread depth/stepped blocks vs. comparables.

3. Rented Mule/Daily Driver: My Raptor receives regular PMCS, but is treated as a “rented mule” (daily driver, vehicle for adult kids to have fun with, all around use/abuse). It sees snow, gravel, mud, and coffee shops/malls.

4. Comfort: I’ve consistently maintained them at 36F/34R (at 72F room temp). Ride quality is great.

5. Fuel economy: AT3Ws are heavier than OEM C rated tires. How you drive matters. As a daily driver, I get 17.3mpg daily driving (based on the Ford computer). MPGs go in the toilet when driven hard—regardless of tire as we drive a 6000lb rolling brick with barn door aerodynamics.

6. Engineering: I personally believe that Sumitomo/Falken hit a home run with this tire and hope that other manufacturers build upon this. I run BFGs and Michelins on other vehicles and am only expressing my views about this tire.

As always, you have to determine what you want out of a tire and then proceed from there.

NOTE1: I do not work for Sumitomo/Falken(r) and have no conflict of interest/financial interest. I post as a consumer and not as a representative of my OEM, any manufacturer, or any company. My opinions are my own.

NOTE2: Images are front and rear with 25k miles of mixed use at 36F/34R—with a son who drops the pressure when he is having fun.

Attachments

• 70C6982A-0B4E-454A-955B-596678090BFB.jpeg
    70C6982A-0B4E-454A-955B-596678090BFB.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 5015770E-CD09-48F1-849B-E755134303F5.jpeg
    5015770E-CD09-48F1-849B-E755134303F5.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 13
  • 5B692E6D-885B-417D-95E1-B979B81DF1D1.jpeg
    5B692E6D-885B-417D-95E1-B979B81DF1D1.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am a fan of Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws (Load Range E) based on my priorities:

1. Performance: After 25k miles on the Raptor—the quiet ride characteristics (city/highway) are better than any AT tire I have owned. No change, no hum, no vibration.

2. Wear: I’ve attached photos. Sumitomo/Falken nailed it. They have an easy 30k left before I’d consider replacement—as this tire has a greater tread depth/stepped blocks vs. comparables.

3. Rented Mule/Daily Driver: My Raptor receives regular PMCS, but is treated as a “rented mule” (daily driver, vehicle for adult kids to have fun with, all around use/abuse). It sees snow, gravel, mud, and coffee shops/malls.

4. Comfort: I’ve consistently maintained them at 36F/34R (at 72F room temp). Ride quality is great.

5. Fuel economy: AT3Ws are heavier than OEM C rated tires. How you drive matters. As a daily driver, I get 17.3mpg daily driving (based on the Ford computer). MPGs go in the toilet when driven hard—regardless of tire as we drive a 6000lb rolling brick with barn door aerodynamics.

6. Engineering: I personally believe that Sumitomo/Falken hit a home run with this tire and hope that other manufacturers build upon this. I run BFGs and Michelins on other vehicles and am only expressing my views about this tire.

As always, you have to determine what you want out of a tire and then proceed from there.

NOTE: I do not work for Sumitomo/Falken(r) and have no conflict of interest/financial interest in the company. I am speaking solely as a consumer and not as a representative of my OEM or any company.

NOTE2: Images are front and rear with 25k miles of mixed use at 36F/34R—with a son who drops the pressure when he is having fun.
Falkens are alright but heavy. I was thinking more Yoko geolander or Conti terrain contact at.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Falkens are alright but heavy. I was thinking more Yoko geolander or Conti terrain contact at.
The major manufacturers all make excellent tires.

In my humble opinion, tire debates only occur because everyone has different priorities—or have not identified what their priorities are. Iam very specific in my specs professionally/personally for every vehicle.

The weight of the Falken AT3W is ideal for me—as the characteristics align with my specific application and priorities.

Figure out what matters to you and you’ll find your tire.