Looking to Buy my Second Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xlr8tin

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I recently sold my 2017 Raptor this past summer, and it's getting time to get another truck and only a raptor will do. I want to do it right this time, and keep it for a long as I can stand it...I don't normally keep vehicles long...2 years max.

So what I'm looking at are 2 things, Either I buy a brand new 2020, or buy a low mileage Gen 1.

So with that said, this is what I would plan for it. I have no intention of keeping it stock...My last one had a few goodies on it like exhaust and intake, but I want to go much further this time. So I am very familiar with the capabilities of the Gen 2. Since I haven't owned a Gen 1 with the V8, I'm wondering if the Gen 1 can compete with some modifications like a supercharger and whatever else I can find? The ecoboost is great, and I love the turbos...so should I even consider the Gen 1?

Can anyone tell me how the suspension compared on the 2? I love the Gen 2 fox suspension, and it looks like it's even upgraded in 2019.

So I basically need a little comparison from others that have done so. Everything I google compares them stock for stock, and that's not fair to the Gen 1.

I will say I do not like having a modified exhaust with a 10 speed...it is annoying to step on it hard and hear the damn things changing through so many gears. However, this will not be a factor to keep me away.

As it stands I am leaning toward a 2020 Gen 2. I want the new sync 3 or whatever is in the new one, and I like the idea of starting brand new with no miles, but I am curious about starting with a cheaper Gen 1 and modifying it...But only if I can get around the same hp/tq numbers...

Thanks guys

Raptorrunner2019

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It definitely sounds like you want a gen2 with 802a package. You won't be satisfied with a gen 1. I bought gen 2 with idea to keep stock though. Then intake, intercooler, catch can, tune, lights, and am now looking into springs later... Couldn't be happier with it.

Good luck on your purchase.

OP
OP
Xlr8tin

Xlr8tin

Reaction score
Yea, that sounds like what I'd be doing. I'm mostly just curious to hear from others if the V8 has decent tuning potential, but kinda thinking the tech packages in the Gen 2 might push me back to one. I'm looking to get a blue one either way, and the gen 2 has a nice interior package with the blue seat inserts.

I'm still open to hear anything from the Gen 1 side. They still look great

OP
OP
Xlr8tin

Xlr8tin

Reaction score
Financial reasons at the time. It didn't make sense to keep paying for it when I didn't drive it much. Things are better now. So it wasn't due to the truck itself. I loved it, and have missed having it everyday since it's been gone

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you like the Ecoboost and want all the tech then gen 2 seems like a good choice. Lighter truck, 10 speed, more modern. I chose a gen 1 because after owning an ecoboost I didn't want another, the engine was flawless I just didn't like the sound and wasn't that fond of the power delivery.

If you are really wanting to do a lot of modifications go gen 1, the power ceiling on the 6.2l is very high, once blown you will make be able to make more power than any stock turbo ecoboost and most people really like the exhaust sound. If you will replacing most every suspension component in your mod plan the age wont matter much. If you get a later gen 1 you can upgrade to sync 3 without any real trouble.

I think you could make a much faster gen 1 for less than what your going to spend on a 2020 but your not going to have the bumper to bumper warranty.

VelociRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you like the Ecoboost and want all the tech then gen 2 seems like a good choice. Lighter truck, 10 speed, more modern. I chose a gen 1 because after owning an ecoboost I didn't want another, the engine was flawless I just didn't like the sound and wasn't that fond of the power delivery.

If you are really wanting to do a lot of modifications go gen 1, the power ceiling on the 6.2l is very high, once blown you will make be able to make more power than any stock turbo ecoboost and most people really like the exhaust sound. If you will replacing most every suspension component in your mod plan the age wont matter much. If you get a later gen 1 you can upgrade to sync 3 without any real trouble.

I think you could make a much faster gen 1 for less than what your going to spend on a 2020 but your not going to have the bumper to bumper warranty.

with the mods he will put in the Gen2 he will probably loose that bumper to bumper warranty anyway, or most of it...

I like your idea, definitely would have gone that route if i wanted to heavily modify - result would be much better and sound a lot better.

Roc Nichols

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I recently sold my 2017 Raptor this past summer, and it's getting time to get another truck and only a raptor will do. I want to do it right this time, and keep it for a long as I can stand it...I don't normally keep vehicles long...2 years max.

So what I'm looking at are 2 things, Either I buy a brand new 2020, or buy a low mileage Gen 1.

So with that said, this is what I would plan for it. I have no intention of keeping it stock...My last one had a few goodies on it like exhaust and intake, but I want to go much further this time. So I am very familiar with the capabilities of the Gen 2. Since I haven't owned a Gen 1 with the V8, I'm wondering if the Gen 1 can compete with some modifications like a supercharger and whatever else I can find? The ecoboost is great, and I love the turbos...so should I even consider the Gen 1?

Can anyone tell me how the suspension compared on the 2? I love the Gen 2 fox suspension, and it looks like it's even upgraded in 2019.

So I basically need a little comparison from others that have done so. Everything I google compares them stock for stock, and that's not fair to the Gen 1.

I will say I do not like having a modified exhaust with a 10 speed...it is annoying to step on it hard and hear the damn things changing through so many gears. However, this will not be a factor to keep me away.

As it stands I am leaning toward a 2020 Gen 2. I want the new sync 3 or whatever is in the new one, and I like the idea of starting brand new with no miles, but I am curious about starting with a cheaper Gen 1 and modifying it...But only if I can get around the same hp/tq numbers...

Thanks guys
I Recommend the 802A package if its in your budget.

OP
OP
Xlr8tin

Xlr8tin

Reaction score

Fantastic points! I think what I like best from the Gen 2 is the amount of new/modern Tech. I love being able to plug in my samsung and work it right through the speakers and talk to google. If I were to get a Gen 1 it would be the latest year for sure. So you ar saying it's fairly easy to install Sync 3? That would be a game changer since this is a main thing I want....

Sound of the V8 is another..I love V8 growls..that are definitely not in the ecoboost...mine was straightpiped and sounded awful with the 10 speed.

I'm really torn. They are almost completely different, but the same. On one hand, I have save 20-30K in purchase, but have a used (chance that it wasn't abused) but have great sound and V8 tuneability. Or buy brand new and have all the gadgets of a modern truck...

I've never been a truck guy. So I've always only like fast cars. So it made sense with the Gen 2 I've already had...It was fast, and I could have freedom to go off the road. Here in Texas this has become important...

with the mods he will put in the Gen2 he will probably loose that bumper to bumper warranty anyway, or most of it...

I like your idea, definitely would have gone that route if i wanted to heavily modify - result would be much better and sound a lot better.

Yup, this is also true, but because it will cost more upfront it will take more time to reach that point

I Recommend the 802A package if its in your budget.

802A was in my last one...it's a must still...I'm going for the carbon fiber and the blue insert seats. I like the look..and obviously blue exterior like my last one

Status
Not open for further replies.