Looking into superduties

Discussion in 'The SuperDuty Section' started by 6.2, Aug 3, 2011.

1. SPRSNK

SPRSNK I Void Warranties Supporting Member

No. My Freightliner had it. It just plain rocks when hauling. Flip the switch, step on the brake, the engine slows the truck down instead of having to burn up your brakes. Coming down the Rockies just sucks without it.

Wikipedia:
    An exhaust brake is a means of slowing a diesel engine by closing off the exhaust path from the engine, causing the exhaust gases to be compressed in the exhaust manifold, and in the cylinder. Since the exhaust is being compressed, and there is no fuel being applied, the engine works backwards, slowing down the vehicle. The amount of negative torque generated is usually directly proportional to the back pressure of the engine.

Since diesel engines lack a throttle valve on the intake manifold, there is no intake vacuum when the engine is not using fuel. The intake vacuum creates the drag effect felt in gasoline engines when going down a hill with the throttle closed.

2. Madcowranch

Madcowranch Genetically Modified

aka jake brake

3. CineSLR

CineSLR Roaming Shutterbug

I know the new DMax has them standard, not sure if Ford put one on their trucks this year...

4. SPRSNK

SPRSNK I Void Warranties Supporting Member

I know :flipthebird: (finger is not meant for CineSLR but for Ford) Ford needs to step up with that. It is about the only way I would upgrade my F350 right now.

5. AVALANCHE

AVALANCHE FRF Addict

Im almost positive they will be minimally an option for the bigger trucks. I own a 2008 and 2010 f550 dump w/plows. Long story short when loaded with salt the stopping distances nearly doubled. Also the brake components deteriorated within 4-6 thousand miles. Ford replaced all components but no fix same problems. I went around and round with them trying to go higher up and all I got was "brakes are performing as designed". But now I've heard rumor that 2012 will have engine brakes, hmmmmm wonder why go figure. To say the least Ford messed up in this department. If theres one thing you do over build its the brakes. I'm selling the 2010 as we write and plan on hiding the 2008 on a winter job that wont see much road time due to this problem.