looking into my first raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
nmp1

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i was ready to pull the trigger on my first raptor today but they dealer refused to honor their advertised price.

SkywalkerZ

Reaction score
I feel like I am in the same boat, looking at the Raptors - and plan to pull the trigger

Not sure if I should just wait it out , hoping the dealers get more aggressive with the 2019's with the 20's peaking around the corner.

P.S. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, never understood why dealers play these games. its like they dont realize people talk and the internet could bite them in the a55

OP
OP
nmp1

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like I am in the same boat, looking at the Raptors - and plan to pull the trigger

Not sure if I should just wait it out , hoping the dealers get more aggressive with the 2019's with the 20's peaking around the corner.

P.S. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, never understood why dealers play these games. its like they dont realize people talk and the internet could bite them in the a55

at this point you might as well see what the 2020 has to offer as the info on it should be out on 7/15. i spoke to several dealers while i was looking around and most have no interest in discounting the 2019's even though the 2020's are almost here. seems like you have to be willing travel way out of state to get a worth while deal. i see youre in NJ, just an FYI Flemington Ford sells at MSRP year round and they get more allotments than more dealers do. i will likely be ordering from them as they dont play games.

NovagatorCFA

Reaction score
First time poster. Finally think I’m going to pull the trigger on a new Raptor (debating between a Raptor or Platinum SD) and curious to know what the major differences will be between the 19 and 20 models. Where and when would the specs be posted? Outside of the potential return of the V8, have there been any other major changes discussed or is it mostly all speculation? Also, does anyone have any idea if the Synch3 technology will be updated? Compared to other similarly-priced cars, Ford’s touchscreen tech is definitely lacking. Appreciate any insights!

OP
OP
nmp1

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First time poster. Finally think I’m going to pull the trigger on a new Raptor (debating between a Raptor or Platinum SD) and curious to know what the major differences will be between the 19 and 20 models. Where and when would the specs be posted? Outside of the potential return of the V8, have there been any other major changes discussed or is it mostly all speculation? Also, does anyone have any idea if the Synch3 technology will be updated? Compared to other similarly-priced cars, Ford’s touchscreen tech is definitely lacking. Appreciate any insights!

i will do a video of the changes as soon as the 2020 info comes out, im hoping for monday. i think there are some new colors coming but i wouldnt expect any other major changes. everything is speculation right now as ford has not confirmed anything from what ive seen.

im not very optimistic about the new 7.3 that everyone is wetting their pants over. its not a high performance engine and its probably gonna be heavy. people complain about the the fuel mileage of the 6.2, a 7.3 would be even worse. are people really willing to get what will likely be single digit fuel mileage for v8 sound. it will be cool for a month or 2 but after that people will cry that it costs a fortune to run. maybe they would do it as a special package or special model but i doubt it as the standard engine.

OP
OP
nmp1

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you may see it that way but i dont think ford does. they have cafe standards to meet and the people that daily these things probably wouldnt be happy. raptors are selling as fast at they can build them, so whats their motivation to change things? they are heavily invested in the ecoboost program and its much easy to make power with forced induction. im not anti V8 at all but i look at this from a realistic stand point.

if a V8 does come back heres how i think it will happen

standard raptor - some sort of ecoboost setup for good power and decent fuel economy

special v8 edition (maybe) - v8 with more off road capability and special setup and significant up charge

gt500 version - all out crazy truck that dominates all and outruns sports cars. starts at 100k+ and is very low production and hard to get. basically as baja ready as a street legal truck can get.

Last edited:

NovagatorCFA

Reaction score
i will do a video of the changes as soon as the 2020 info comes out, im hoping for monday. i think there are some new colors coming but i wouldnt expect any other major changes. everything is speculation right now as ford has not confirmed anything from what ive seen.

im not very optimistic about the new 7.3 that everyone is wetting their pants over. its not a high performance engine and its probably gonna be heavy. people complain about the the fuel mileage of the 6.2, a 7.3 would be even worse. are people really willing to get what will likely be single digit fuel mileage for v8 sound. it will be cool for a month or 2 but after that people will cry that it costs a fortune to run. maybe they would do it as a special package or special model but i doubt it as the standard engine.

Thanks nmp. Out of curiosity, how are you coming up with Monday? Did Ford specify somewhere that updated specs come out in mid July or is this intel based on your connections at Ford? Also, based on your knowledge of other recent Ford releases, have you seen anything specifically related to the touchscreen technology?

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you may see it that way but i dont think ford does. they have cafe standards to meet and the people that daily these things probably wouldnt be happy. raptors are selling as fast at they can build them, so whats their motivation to change things? they are heavily invested in the ecoboost program and its much easy to make power with forced induction. im not anti V8 at all but i look at this from a realistic stand point.

if a V8 does come back heres how i think it will happen

standard raptor - some sort of ecoboost setup for good power and decent fuel economy

special v8 edition (maybe) - v8 with more off road capability and special setup and significant up charge

gt500 version - all out crazy truck that dominates all and outruns sports cars. starts at 100k+ and is very low production and hard to get. basically as baja ready as a street legal truck can get.

I agree with everything you said. Ford is dedicated to the EcoBoost program, but that doesn't mean potential buyers are. There is a reason that the gen 1 is still popular and bringing top dollar in the used market.

In addition, I don't think that your average Raptor buyer is all that concerned with fuel economy. They have the means to buy a performance truck and the means to buy the fuel. Everyone likes to get 17mpg, but perhaps not with the trade offs that come with it.

OP
OP
nmp1

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks nmp. Out of curiosity, how are you coming up with Monday? Did Ford specify somewhere that updated specs come out in mid July or is this intel based on your connections at Ford? Also, based on your knowledge of other recent Ford releases, have you seen anything specifically related to the touchscreen technology?

the new truck info normally comes out in july and ive been seeing it discussed on some forums. i was BSing with a dealer last week and i told him i heard monday for the new info and he said he heard the same. that date could change but lets see what happens. havent heard anything about the touchscreen.

I agree with everything you said. Ford is dedicated to the EcoBoost program, but that doesn't mean potential buyers are. There is a reason that the gen 1 is still popular and bringing top dollar in the used market.

In addition, I don't think that your average Raptor buyer is all that concerned with fuel economy. They have the means to buy a performance truck and the means to buy the fuel. Everyone likes to get 17mpg, but perhaps not with the trade offs that come with it.

i agree that fuel economy is a much lower priority for raptor buyers, but the people that drive them everyday would probably not be too happy after a while if the mileage was nearly cut in half with no other option. after speaking to so many different dealers i cant believe how many people finance these things for $1000+ a month for 5 years at 5-6%, thats nuts. ford really hit it out of the park with this thing and despite all the crys for a v8 people cant sell their kidneys fast enough. if ford does things the way i suggested, everyone will be happy.

Last edited: