Looking for Tonneau Cover Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/lomax-ultra-low-profile-tri-fold-bed-covers.69327/

This is what I have and LOVE IT! Installs in minutes and and can be removed in seconds. I've had covers on all my trucks. Extang, a few different models of Bak industries, and a few others. Def my favorite so far! Compliments truck well also!

I SECOND THAT..!! Always had Camper Tops on my Pick-ups,but on a Raptor..I think not,just doesnt look good IMHO..but the Lomax is great...fits perfect,no drilling,low profile,installed in about 45 minutes (can be done faster,I'm ****)...and unlike the BakFlip where it blocks the back window for full bed access,this one,if you need full bed,unhooks in 30 seconds...really easy....
BTW..its the SAME cover WeatherTech sells for more $$..they just put their WeatherTech sticker on it.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the MX4 and like it.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Yeah I would’ve gotten another for the Raptor but part of the deal I worked out w/ dealer was adding tonneau & had to choose based on what they had available. Got a truxedo rollup style- it’s pretty good quality but I don’t like that it flaps a bit @ speed & also don’t like that it’s not nearly as secure & lastly I don’t like that it uses its own rail system.

Something anyone should know/consider before buying ANY tonneau that has its own rail system are the following annoyances-

1. Many (bakflip types esp) require drain tubes that can get mildew funk & clog/stink up depend on climate. Many are not water tight depending on the way these rails are mounted & you’ll always get water in the bed whenever it rains/car wash.

2. Forget about ever using the bed sides as a “seat” when tailgating or hunting or whatever- no longer viable- neither is grabbing the bed side & using as leverage for most of them.

3. If you have bulky/rugged/heavy stuff in the bed you gotta be real careful about not having stuff slam into the rails damaging them. Also when your tonneau is open if you’re in the rain etc gotta make sure you lube/maintain parts of the rails & if you’re in Frigid temps snow/ice accumulation can render the functionality of the rails useless.

So yeah- low profile/fancy tonneaus look cool but in reality aren’t all that practical/user friendly....& I have one now unfortunately. Had similar bad experience w/ a gator FX on different truck (same as bak basically)

If you do end up going w/ a tonneau that utilizes inner rails I think the roll-up style are better overall than the flip type for certain reasons (usually more water tight & the hinges & weather stripping in between panels on the low profile flip style tend to degrade/leak over time also)

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm thinking about adding a Tonneau cover to my 2017 Gen 2 SCREW and I'm not exactly sure where to start. What would you recommend and why? What are the positives/negatives.

I don't want to have to drill any holes or mount anything in a way that might scratch up the truck or wear through the finish. No holes. No invasive modifications or drilling. I also don't want any sort of "bodywork" style solution like those big heavy fiberglass ones that are painted to match and such. Thats really way too much for my needs.

The vast majority of the time I don't haul anything in the bed of the truck. Its rare that I put anything back there. I'd like the thing to be virtually invisible when viewing the truck from the profile or back. Those tonneau covers that are "thick" look strange to me as they seem to increase the height of the bed.

I don't care for the flimsy velcro types that need to be rolled up or tied down.

My main use of the tonneau cover is to cover my gear when I go to the range. I do alot of shooting on the range and bring alot of rifles (Though I always put the rifles in the cab), steel targets, spotting scopes, ammo, gear, etc. etc.

Other times, my wife and I are moving stacks of tubs to and from our storage locker as we are preparing to move. So when I do use the bed of the truck, many times I do use the entire bed.

After some quick peeks around the forums here, I see the Bakflip MX4 mentioned alot. And maybe thats the ticket. I'm not incredibly familiar with it beyond looking at their website but it looks like you'd have to drive around with your rear window blocked if you used the whole bed. Or maybe one of the other Backflip models is the ticket? I'm not real keen on the rolling ones.

How does it hold up to snow? I live in the Chicago area and so we do get quite a bit of snow from time to time. Will it sink and bend? How does it hold up to alot of sun and heat in the summer? Will it crack and fade badly?

Any thoughts, opinions, or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I’m working on a new video, but this compares the 3 most popular styles

you can use raptorforum100
At checkout for discounts

spvparts.com

OP
OP
1Wolf

1Wolf

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, pictures, info, advice, and suggestions so far. Thats awesomely helpful. I didn't realize there was such variety.

So far, based on the photos, info, and user reports I'm leaning a bit towards the Lomax. It seems to do everything "pretty well". I especially like the fact that the whole thing can be snapped right off in seconds...and reinstalled with no hassle. I'd probably use that feature alot as its very possible I don't even keep the tonneau cover on the bed unless I'm carrying something I need to cover. It seems pretty strong and sturdy as long as you're not putting weight in one place. It seems "mostly" waterproof. I watched some YouTube videos that had folks reporting alot of leaking near the tailgate. Its a bit confusing though because on the Lomax website they list the choices as a Ford F-150 (No specific Raptor listing) and 3 colors (matt, diamondplate, and another one). However, on the links for offroadalliance.com, it specifically mentions the Raptor but has no color choices.

How has the Lomax handled water for you guys?

The backflip revolver seems very popular too but I'm just not as keen on the whole "roll up" thing.

The Retrax option posted looks outstanding (Rap19: Beautiful red raptor by the way, that was an outstanding picture). However, thats probably out of my price range and a bit too "permanent" a solution for me. Also, that last 9-12" of bed space is really important to me. 5'6" is pretty short to begin with. If I need to carry something I tend to use all of that space.

On an unrelated note. I notice a bunch of you have this thing in your tailgate like a split gate/fence thingie. What is that? Is that a bed extender? Do you like it? How's it working for you?

Just wanted to also say thanks for the Raptor pics. Gorgeous raptors guys :) Love the pics.

Hankfd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Retrax Pro XR is pricey but the Raptor deserves it. Best looking and very strong. I added the Raptor logo to the cover canister.

View attachment 133719

View attachment 133720
I was thinking of buying this one also any problems with it binding up with the leaves and dust/dirt on top. How about in the winter with snow and ice on top wonder if it would not role up?

DreadPirateRaptor

Reaction score
+1 for the Diamondback HD. I also haul lots of long things that go bang in the bed, and have a drawer system setup. I can haul 500lbs on top, and it’s pretty dang tough.

P4mnceBlue82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, pictures, info, advice, and suggestions so far. Thats awesomely helpful. I didn't realize there was such variety.

So far, based on the photos, info, and user reports I'm leaning a bit towards the Lomax. It seems to do everything "pretty well". I especially like the fact that the whole thing can be snapped right off in seconds...and reinstalled with no hassle. I'd probably use that feature alot as its very possible I don't even keep the tonneau cover on the bed unless I'm carrying something I need to cover. It seems pretty strong and sturdy as long as you're not putting weight in one place. It seems "mostly" waterproof. I watched some YouTube videos that had folks reporting alot of leaking near the tailgate. Its a bit confusing though because on the Lomax website they list the choices as a Ford F-150 (No specific Raptor listing) and 3 colors (matt, diamondplate, and another one). However, on the links for offroadalliance.com, it specifically mentions the Raptor but has no color choices.

How has the Lomax handled water for you guys?

The backflip revolver seems very popular too but I'm just not as keen on the whole "roll up" thing.

The Retrax option posted looks outstanding (Rap19: Beautiful red raptor by the way, that was an outstanding picture). However, thats probably out of my price range and a bit too "permanent" a solution for me. Also, that last 9-12" of bed space is really important to me. 5'6" is pretty short to begin with. If I need to carry something I tend to use all of that space.

On an unrelated note. I notice a bunch of you have this thing in your tailgate like a split gate/fence thingie. What is that? Is that a bed extender? Do you like it? How's it working for you?

Just wanted to also say thanks for the Raptor pics. Gorgeous raptors guys :) Love the pics.
I also read about the issues with water but honestly haven't had ANY issues at this time with water. Even goin thru the car wash with high pressure washes. Maybe I'm a lucky one. I keep my gym bag, sports gear and in hunting season my boots, clothes, stands etc back there and never had them get a drop of water on them. However I was VERY meticulous with the original install/placement.

I believe u are seeing the bed extender. And yes its handy to have. I love mine. I keep mine flipped to inside to keep stuff from sliding around and to back of bed. It was actually the main reason I bought it. Lol