Looking for Tonneau Cover Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Simplejack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My recommendation would be an Advantage hard hat tri-fold cover. Don’t have one now but had one on previous trucks. It’s lower in price point than some of the bakflip low profile ones, more secure, & 100% watertight. Personally even tho they give the low-profile look I’d avoid the hard folding ones that use their own inside rails on the bed & require drain tubes. I had a gator version which is same manufacturer ultimately & the panels got water penetration & after freezing the AL panels were separating from the composite core. The weather stripping between the hinges of the panels also started deteriorating/pulling away over time making it even more prone for water penetration.

This advantage cover I had used 4 adjustable hard plastic lockdown clamps @ each corner of the bed, the tailgate end obviously made for the locking handles to be used regularly but the rears could be loosened up fairly easily (sometimes would require a screwdriver to use as leverage initially getting em off if I hadn’t removed in long time) I could take it off in 5 mins easy for full bed access. Has AL frame w/ heavy vinyl/composite panels underneath the vinyl top so it stays flat & smooth unlike the rolling soft type & provides more security (you’d need a legit saw to get into it) & allows you to put some weight on top when closed - maybe like 40 lbs or so w/o sagging/damage. On one of my GM trucks I had it on long story short truck got totaled & the tailgate wouldn’t unlock & I tried a crowbar to get this cover popped off for access to the tools I had left in the bed before it went to salvage yard & I couldn’t get it off, had to borrow sawzall from tow yard to cut into one of the panels and crawl in.

https://realtruck.com/p/advantage-h...MIsb3nmNOh5gIVTR-tBh2vUgiHEAQYASABEgJEifD_BwE

+1 heres mine

20190911_095104.jpg

Reaction score
I'm thinking about adding a Tonneau cover to my 2017 Gen 2 SCREW and I'm not exactly sure where to start. What would you recommend and why? What are the positives/negatives.

I don't want to have to drill any holes or mount anything in a way that might scratch up the truck or wear through the finish. No holes. No invasive modifications or drilling. I also don't want any sort of "bodywork" style solution like those big heavy fiberglass ones that are painted to match and such. Thats really way too much for my needs.

The vast majority of the time I don't haul anything in the bed of the truck. Its rare that I put anything back there. I'd like the thing to be virtually invisible when viewing the truck from the profile or back. Those tonneau covers that are "thick" look strange to me as they seem to increase the height of the bed.

I don't care for the flimsy velcro types that need to be rolled up or tied down.

My main use of the tonneau cover is to cover my gear when I go to the range. I do alot of shooting on the range and bring alot of rifles (Though I always put the rifles in the cab), steel targets, spotting scopes, ammo, gear, etc. etc.

Other times, my wife and I are moving stacks of tubs to and from our storage locker as we are preparing to move. So when I do use the bed of the truck, many times I do use the entire bed.

After some quick peeks around the forums here, I see the Bakflip MX4 mentioned alot. And maybe thats the ticket. I'm not incredibly familiar with it beyond looking at their website but it looks like you'd have to drive around with your rear window blocked if you used the whole bed. Or maybe one of the other Backflip models is the ticket? I'm not real keen on the rolling ones.

How does it hold up to snow? I live in the Chicago area and so we do get quite a bit of snow from time to time. Will it sink and bend? How does it hold up to alot of sun and heat in the summer? Will it crack and fade badly?

Any thoughts, opinions, or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
I use Ford’s hard roll up. It mounts flush and rolls up and only takes 9”-12” of the bed. It’s durable and the best looking one I’ve found.

2F554B70-E982-4F3B-A8BA-6BDD55C24560.jpeg

RaptorRich19

Reaction score
BAK Revolver X4 is the way to go. Very low profile (essentially flush) when down. Aluminum adds more security than vinyl as it “locks” when down. Easy to roll up to use and it does not block the whole rear window like a tri-fold does when it is open. PLUS because it does not roll into a canister, it does not take up any bed space like the Roll n Lock I used to have on my Tacoma. That is key given that my Raptor only has a 5 ft bed. I also live in Chicago and the aluminum helps stand up to the heavy snow and ice.

Kirkw

Reaction score
+1 for Bakflip revolver. Had mine on for about 3 years. Rolls up so that I can still use the whole depth of the bed (front tire of dirt bike still snugs against front of bed securely) but doesn't block my rear window view. Been mostly weather tight and is secure.