GEN 1 Looking for suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14 tuxblack raptor

Reaction score
14' Screw w/ 66k, looking to service the transmission and looking for some opinions.

In SoCal area calling some dealers they're only offering a full fluid exchange where as I'd like to not flush the fluid and have the transmission serviced by dropping the pan and draining fluid like many of the service posts on here.

I'll also be doing F+R axle brake service and having fuse 27 kit installed. I've done all the other fluids myself, wondering what some of ya would recommend doing, should I search out a few different dealer service centers in the area? Any recommendations for smaller shops in OC/LA/SD for those services, BajaHQ?

Thanks

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our transmissions (the 6R80) use an internal thermostat valve that blocks fluid flow unless fluid is pumped through at a constant rate by a machine. You can’t just “service the transmission” by dropping the pan. You’ll only get 1/5 of the fluid out that way. The proper way to do it is to have a shop use their fluid flush machine to pump 15 quarts of fluid through the transmission and then refill. Any good mechanic will have a machine that can do it.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you can do the other fluids the trans pan is no problem. They use a rubber faced steel gasket that is very user friendly, just get yourself some rubber gloves and a big drain pan. Most shops can do this pretty easily as well, just ask them for a transmission filter change. The trans is standard f150 stuff, lots of shops have experience with it.

On the brake part they are not complicated systems. For pads and rotors the job is identical to f150 so again most shops can do this.