GEN 2 Looking for opinions on airing down for the beach

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MGA

Reaction score
Have a 2019 with stock tires and beadlock capable wheels. Heading back to OBX where my house is 6 1/2 miles up the beach, offroad, normally in the offseason I air down to 26psi as the beach is not that torn up, the speed limit is generally 35 mph on the beach and I frequently am on and off the beach heading to stores and such. For the July trip the beach speed limit is generally 15mph, your driving in soft torn up sand but I will still be going back and forth off the beach to include on trip of 20 miles round trip at about 60mph but otherwise all street travel is circa 35 mph and short trips. Question is would you have any concerns given those parameters airing down to 20psi and leaving it at that the two weeks and airing back up when I leave? Appreciate the input as always!

thomas78

Reaction score
I went down to 30 rear 28 front in Baja and never aired back up till the last day. This included getting back on the highway running 90+ with no issues for 7 days. I was airing down/back up the first day till it was mentioned to just leave it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’ll defer to those with more experience running lower pressure for street use, but will point out that lower pressure will increase the heat in the tire generally, and heat cycling will steal the grip from the tire compound. You could have tons of tread left but are spinning constantly wet or dry at pressures you would normally have been fine at.

I just got a VIAIR compressor for the trips in OBX would involve more than 45mph or over 5 miles. You can get one capable of filling the 35’s in about 5 minutes / tire. I’d really want to see about high 20’s to 30 psi minimum for highway speeds at any duration, but that’s just me.

I am constantly reminded of a tire my wife shagged when she picked up a nail. she sent me pics from the gas station, it was so hot the tire was melting inside, had little rubber globules and was visibly discolored.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure I’d worry too much about tire heat if the street speeds are 35mph max. But I often don’t know what I’m talking about and I’m no off-roader for sure.

OBX

Reaction score
I live mostly in the OBX and I air down to 20psi. Not sure where you are driving on the beach but if it is at the ramp across from the fishing center you can use the free (donation) air there. Its not the straight line driving that kills your tires but turning, especially at slow speeds but tightly. The hassle is deflating every time. Buy the JT Brooks tire deflator Pro set (be sure to get the Pro so you can set the psi and your done). This makes deflating super fast. You will be done while other people are still on tire #1. I also have my own air pump that attaches to the battery. Those that use a 12V socket are useless and too slow.

OP
OP
MGA

MGA

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's, I second the deflator recommendations and use the coyote deflators which I set to 26psi and will just use the guage to take the tires down to 20psi as 26psi is my offseason preferred psi. For the day I have to leave the island I will air back up and then back down again upon return. Otherwise the opinions here have validated my opinion that 20psi is fine for short 35mph street use. I am up north by Corolla and use the air station at the Twiddy office which I rent through which are high volume. I do keep a decent battery hook up compressor in the truck for emergency but the air station is much quicker. Again I greatly appreciate the member insights! Regards

OP
OP
MGA

MGA

Reaction score
As a follow up I did look at the JT Brooks tire deflator Pro set and they are nice, really like being able to set them based on a number versus trial and error - just ordered a set. Thanks

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I personally would not want to let my truck sit on it's tires with that low of air pressure for an extended period of time. Seems like there's the potential to deform the rubber so it's no longer perfectly round if it's just sitting there.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 20 pounds are not the problem, but the heat is. I have gone 60 mph on a trail with the tires at 15. But asphalt can get really hot. The 35 mph should be no problem, even if it is a hot day. But if it is a really hot sunny day I would keep my speed down to around 45. I would get a compressor and go from 20 (or whatever you are running on the beach, I usually run 15) to 28-30 which wouldn't take that long. Then you would be good at 60 on the highway for that length of time.

Lowering the pressure increases the footprint which is why you do it off road (and for comfort as the tire soaks up bumps better), but that larger contact patch and the flexing of the sidewall at lower pressures can build up a lot of heat. You can always stop and feel how hot the tire is getting, if it is really hot to the touch, slow down or add air. The BFGs are forgiving, but not forever.

I hope that helps.