GEN 2 Looking for opinions on airing down for the beach

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have a 2019 with stock tires and beadlock capable wheels. Heading back to OBX where my house is 6 1/2 miles up the beach, offroad, normally in the offseason I air down to 26psi as the beach is not that torn up, the speed limit is generally 35 mph on the beach and I frequently am on and off the beach heading to stores and such. For the July trip the beach speed limit is generally 15mph, your driving in soft torn up sand but I will still be going back and forth off the beach to include on trip of 20 miles round trip at about 60mph but otherwise all street travel is circa 35 mph and short trips. Question is would you have any concerns given those parameters airing down to 20psi and leaving it at that the two weeks and airing back up when I leave? Appreciate the input as always!
July? Carova? The beach will be tore up....20 is good, but I f I am going in back, some of the dunes to cross over can be super soft, I go 17 or so. Then I can go anywhere and not worry. Long line of idiots craling at teh high tide line? **** em, I'm running up by the dunes at speed. I do 35-40mph with 17psi in the sand, no issues for a Raptor suspension. The air station at the lighthouse is your friend so air up if you need to head farther south than Food Lion.

A bit overkill? Perhaps, I have never been close to stuck in 20+ years of beach driving, and I personally do not want to show up on Youtube or Corolla Beach Idiots, especially in a Raptor. :)

1624090207446.png

OP
OP
MGA

MGA

Reaction score
1624291914241.png

Thanks all, to answer a few earlier questions - The J.T. Brooks Pro deflators have numbers for the settings which while not exact once learned you can accurately set them and of course then verify. They also seem to stay locked in better due to their design. On the issue of airing back up and having a compressor, I do but will be there for two weeks staying offroad so will not air up for each trip the food lion but will for longer trips. I love the Corolla Beach Idiots site, as a reference this picture was taken behind my beach house and for what it is worth is 6.5 mils up the beach, this idiot made it pretty far before getting stuck. Thanks

Joe Soper

Reaction score
I usually run at about 15psi in the deserts here in the UAE. All of our camping spots are at least 30 miles off road and mostly soft dune sand all the way. I had been considering the up down air system to connect to my ARB twin but didnt care for the idea of popping holes in my truck. I ended up using the indeflate 4 tire system instead. Gotta say airing up or down all 4 tires to same pressure at once is a back saver and takes the guess work out.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since it is the factory they have to be conservative to cover their butt. I have gone as low as 12 psi with stock non bead lock wheels and had no problems. Use the pressure you feel comfortable with. I am not an expert on tires, but have done probably 30,000 miles off road with no bead problems.

Joe Soper

Reaction score
Have you read the owners manual and Raptor Supplment? "Sand: When driving over sand, try to keep all four wheels on the most solid area of the trail. Avoid reducing the tire pressures but shift to a lower gear and drive steadily through the terrain. Apply the accelerator slowly and avoid excessive wheel slip. When driving at slow speeds in deep sand under high outside temperatures, use a low gear when possible. Low gear operation can maximize the engine and transmission cooling capability. "

Thought that was a bit of laugher......

AvalancheGrey2017

Reaction score
Just got back from Corolla/Corova 2 weeks ago. It was a blast - saw a few other Raptors out there amongst some really interesting vehicles. I used the ARB deflator which worked great to get down the 15psi, air stations on the way out are clutch. Was over prepared for sure with tredpros, snatch rope, and viair400p.

Attachments

• beach truck2.jpg
    beach truck2.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 7
  • beach truck1.jpg
    beach truck1.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 7