Looking for Help Buying Used

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Idaho

Idaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the link but KY is a little far away for me as I'm not going to buy one of these without test driving it first. At least in the photos that truck doesn't look like the regular Oxford White. Is that just the photos or another white of some sort?

Also not sure how I feel about the orange/red highlights on the seats as I am assuming that would show wear much faster than the normal grey?

Here is a local 2017 with about the same mileage for around the same price as well.

2017 Raptor

That raptor does have the orange accent package as well and looks to be in pretty good shape.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Idaho, post: 1466686, member: 40622”]...

Here is a local 2017 with about the same mileage for around the same price as well.

2017 Raptor

That raptor does have the orange accent package as well and looks to be in pretty good shape.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think that has the tech package - adaptive cruise, BLIS, etc., does not have the tailgate step, tires are pretty worn, may be OE, but does have the moon roof and it’s just below the 36k b2b warranty threshold.

51 is a little spendy for that truck. The moonroof is a frequent repair item for F150’s and it’s not cheap. Otherwise, it does look clean and should give you some room for negotiation.

digscruze

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one you posted does not have the tailgate step or the raptor technology package which includes the adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, auto wipers and other goodies.

The orange accent comes down to personal preference but I would prefer it over stock as it does include aluminum panels for the glove box and the door accents look better. As far as wear I think should hold up as good as stock.

For 2017 they came out with Avalanche Gray, it’s a mix between white and gray and it’s unique to that model year. That color was replaced by Leadfoot Gray in the 2018’s+. But that color is darker

I would recommend that if you go with any truck that you purchase an extended warranty cover any issues down the line. Including any issues with the moonroof. I recently had issues with mines and luckily it was covered by the warranty. Unfortunately most trucks out there come with it and it can be hard to find trucks that don’t have it equipped.

like I mentioned, the bargain for the one in KY is hard to beat as that truck is fully loaded with all the features except for the tailgate appliqué, Rims and graphics. It also comes in that unique color which can be hard to find.

Best of luck on your search!

OP
OP
Idaho

Idaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still looking. Prices seem to have gone up a little now that people understand the sky isn't falling.

Here is a local truck I'm looking at and I appreciate any feedback on it. It has 42k miles and asking price is $51.5k for leadfoot grey. Local 2018

Obviously if I go private sale then I'm on my own for selling my truck as well.

The avalanche grey with orange accent package is also still available and they offered 29k for my trade (sucks as I was offered 32.5 last month from one dealership). Mileage is 36k and asking price is $49.9k. Avalanche 2017

When I called that dealer they said they probably won't go down any further as they have been sitting on it for a long time and lowered the price significantly to "where we are taking a loss on it actually". Just hard to commit to that truck as it's 400 miles away.

And last, here is a 2018 in oxford white from a dealer about 180 miles away in South Carolina, 33k miles for $53.9k. Looks pretty clean and one of the few I've found without the graphics package which I do not care for. Oxford White 2018

noorj

Reaction score
Interesting following your Raptor search! I'm also in the market for a ~$50k used Gen 2 (but I'm up in Michigan). This past weekend I looked at a few, one 2018 802A with 40k-ish miles on it for $49k, but it was modded with at least an intake and true 35" Nitto's and I'm not sure if the dealer put 87 octane in it or what but felt very slow compared to the 19MY I had driven previously.

I have been trying to stick to 2018/2019 model years due to the oil pan upgrade, *potential* cam phaser revisions and the larger turbos (as I'll certainly be messing with the calibration)

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the things I always do when buying any used car is bring an OBD dongle with me and plug into the OBD port to check for any codes, or recently cleared codes. While cleared codes may or may not be a deal breaker, it helps me ask questions about mechanical history, and also assess how the engine is running. (Or at least how the computer says it's running. Most dealerships will also have an inspection/maintenance report for what they did, ask to take a peek at that.

When I was shopping for my Raptor, first thing I did on every truck I looked at was to climb underneath with a flashlight, and look for a couple of things.

Take a look at the bump stops and see if they look like they had marks on them. (Indication of having been jumped, towed something heavy, or bed loaded up.) I wanted a mall queen when I bought used, so I always looked for clean bump stops. (Or at least ones that did not appear hammered.)

Take a look under the rear axle, and at the underside of the running boards, and skid plates. Does it have scratches or marks? May be a sign the truck was taken off road. Again, may or may not be an issue for you, but it was for me when I was shopping.

@smurfslayer is one of the resident experts around here, and his advice is sound. (Oh, and Flood Ford is literally 50% cheaper for a legitimate Ford ESP versus just about anywhere else, so if you are considering and extended warrant, check their price against anything a dealer tries to sell you.)

OP
OP
Idaho

Idaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I am taking my time and bouncing back and forth between buying or not as my '18 laramie ecodiesel ram is very close to paid off. So taking my time to evaluate the angles and also the market as it has changed quite a bit in the last month here in North Carolina. I have been staying away from the '19's simply due to price (I want under 40k miles and don't want to pay over $55k for an 802a) but also because I have some distrust in the live valve system and longevity. I plan to keep the truck and drive it my normal 20-25k per year and just see that live valve as more expensive to maintain and more things to go wrong and replace.

Additionally what concerns or "cost of ownership" for long life are there besides the regular oil changes and fluids? In my research on here I've seen much talk about cam phasers but that's been about it. Regardless of my choice, I planned to buy the ESP from Flood.

I don't believe too many trucks out here are jumped or run hard as there just isn't a lot of terrain for it. Thank you for the advice though as to some points to check out under the truck to get a better idea of its history. I definitely will be "that guy" that gets under the truck with a flashlight in the lot and honestly, I just want a Raptor for the looks and the ride quality. I have zero plans to go finding terrain to really take advantage of the design and suspension.

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't owned mine long enough to give any educated information on long term costs. There are a few guys around here with some high millage 17-18, so they may be able to give you some good info.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
it’s minus the tailgate step...

Is the tailgate step a priority? I thought I'd like it, I wanted it, and I got it, and I haven't used it other than the one time I tested it to make sure it worked. I've been in and out of that bed probably 40-50 times since I bought it. It's so quick and easy to grab the side of the bed and step up onto the corner of the bumper, or to bounce on one foot and hop right up onto the other, or to sit on the tailgate, swing my legs up and stand. I found that futzing around with the step wastes enough time that I haven't bothered with it. I have occasionally been accused of being a bit impatient. :) Maybe in another ten years, when I'm in my 70s, it will speak to me, but I doubt I'll still have the truck based on my track record ... I usually keep a ride for about seven years.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you location-centric for your purchase? If not, look here in TX, seems that every dealer has a couple used 18-19's on the lot.

On your original post there were a couple things my former car dealer spidy-senses picked up. I was a wholesaler and turning cars is what we did, but I have seen some shady dealers in my day.

1. Ask yourself why a low mile 18 would not be for sale on the parent companies Franchised Ford lot... Why send it to the Used dealer that is not an authorized Ford dealer. That makes me think it may have issues. Send the VIN to @FordTechOne and ask nicely if he can run it.

2. Dirty is a good indication that the used dealer doesn't car about the cars they buy and sell. They probably bought it at the auction and have done ZERO to prep it for resale, and just want to flip it asap.. Its a high dollar used unit that is eating their floor plan money. They will do/say anything to get it off the lot and recoup their money. Good luck seeing the shocks off your trade.

3. While prices are subject to location and condition, an 18 with half the miles and a year newer than the clean 17 you saw, should bring more that $2k at retail.. If the price is too good to be true.. your right... it is. Wind noise, worn tires, dirty are all things you and the wife flagged. Your gut instinct is telling you to look harder!!
You would need to go over it with a fine tooth comb. Ask to get it inspected at the Ford dealer with a print out of maintenance, warranty, repair work if this is the one you want.

Me personally, I'd walk on the 18 on the used car lot.. There are too many clean straight deals out there.