GEN 2 Looking for general tunes for SCT X4 Platform

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drgonzo3000

Reaction score
I'm looking for a tuner that has their shit together that can send me some tunes for a stock 2017. I'm needing a general 93 performance tune, 89 economy tune and an 89 tow tune.

I'd use the canned ones that came with the SCT, but SCT themselves can't get their shit together to push out a canned tune to support the trans firmware update, but they have released it for custom tuners. Been fighting with SCT for a couple months now on this BS.

I've tried ordering the 5 star tunes through Stage 3 and it's now 2 weeks and I have had pretty much zero communication from them outside of a timeline that they completely missed.

I'm not looking to dump money into buying a Cobb, it's way overkill and overpriced for what I'm needing.

Thanks!

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are cheap trucks, I'd just look for the cheapest solution you can. Why you won't look at Cobb and Goose is beyond me, but your loss. Goose is extremely responsive and has a great reputation, hope it works out.
Yes I read your "4 sentences".

OP
OP
Drgonzo3000

Drgonzo3000

Reaction score
Cause I don't think the Cobb device is worth the $1k price tag they are asking for it. How is it that any other tuning device on pretty much any vehicle platform range from the $300-500 range but Cobb thinks theirs is worth double that. They all do the same exact same thing. They overwrite the memory on the ecu using something like J2534. Everyone of them has the same available options as they are all limited to what the vehicle allows them access to. There is no value in the canned tunes that ship with them since every single person that has commented about Cobb goes and pays even more money for a custom tune.

What I see is an overhyped product that's been marketed based on their brand name thats a mirror image of everything else being sold. If someone has hard comparables showing actual data that one is different than another please speak up cause I haven't seen shit except peoples personal opinions on their custom tunes which means nothing when comparing actual devices.

And to note I'm sure Goose does awesome work as far as tuning goes. Same tunes he does would do the same thing if he built them on the SCT platform, but he's dedicated to Cobb.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cause I don't think the Cobb device is worth the $1k price tag they are asking for it. How is it that any other tuning device on pretty much any vehicle platform range from the $300-500 range but Cobb thinks theirs is worth double that. They all do the same exact same thing. They overwrite the memory on the ecu using something like J2534. Everyone of them has the same available options as they are all limited to what the vehicle allows them access to. There is no value in the canned tunes that ship with them since every single person that has commented about Cobb goes and pays even more money for a custom tune.

What I see is an overhyped product that's been marketed based on their brand name thats a mirror image of everything else being sold. If someone has hard comparables showing actual data that one is different than another please speak up cause I haven't seen shit except peoples personal opinions on their custom tunes which means nothing when comparing actual devices.

And to note I'm sure Goose does awesome work as far as tuning goes. Same tunes he does would do the same thing if he built them on the SCT platform, but he's dedicated to Cobb.
Ask him why he's dedicated to Cobb, he could inform you more than 99% of us. Maybe he has some good reasons. All I know is not skimping the tune or tuner on my $75K truck.

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ask him why he's dedicated to Cobb, he could inform you more than 99% of us. Maybe he has some good reasons. All I know is not skimping the tune or tuner on my $75K truck.
Ain't that the truth, I've had 3 different tuners tune my truck through Cobb. Goose has been the only one to get it right. I guess if OP wants cheap I could recommend a Pedal Commander, granted I think those are trash.