Looking for FOG LIGHT KIT suggestions pls!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

snt505

Full Access Member
Reaction score

But you said the SAEs are based on the Sports correct? Just trying to interpret that Tacoma forum post. Seems like SS3 Pro SAE vs BD SAE is fair based on similar pricing and the fact that BD only makes the one version.

I like analytical comparisons and try my best to avoid marketing backed tests like the very popular Raptor Morimoto vs Alpharex YouTube video I've seen referenced. So, it's unfortunate that it feels like the analysis in that post may be financially influenced. I have a Rigid bar and SAE pods as well as BD pods and a 30" S8 bar sitting in the box that I shouldn't install but probably will, so I have no allegiance. Just try looking subjectively.

Interesting post and feedback though. May bug you soon about those Gen 2 Morimotos if I can find someone to buy this S8 behind the grille kit.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
They are comparing the SAE Pro to the Baja SAE because it looks better in their marketing. If they compared the SAE Sport to the Baja SAE it would not look as appealing to their market. So that's why they never put their SAE Sport in the running. Naturally pitting a Pro light against a "Sport" based light would make favor one party.

The SAE is based on the Sport from what I can see. It's got a few tweeks from what Baja tells me to the board itself to differentiate it from a regular Sport board.

We used to carry the DD line but I got into a heated battle (hey I'm known for it) with their owner and former marketing guy one day on a FB post they chimed in about. They were advertising wrong data and I pointed out the wrong facts (both the owner and their marketing guy were making different claims, about the same item). So yeah... gotta do your research.

I'm a 3rd party here and sell lots of things. But we like to test everything we sell so that we can properly educate our customers. We love Baja here but that's not to say there are not some things that irk us, so don't think i'm just pushing them cause we stock so much of it. I've been testing products for years upon years to be able to help customers choose what works best.

I've never said the Diode product is trash... it's a nice product, it's just the data people are re-posting isn't 100% correct or eye-to-eye.

fftfk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for those who have done a bezel fog light kit -they all come with an S1 Cornering (or KC version). Baja Designs only offers an SAE wide cornering light if I am reading their website and the vendors websites correctly. Is it redundant to have an S1 Cornering light and an SAE wide cornering light?

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question for those who have done a bezel fog light kit -they all come with an S1 Cornering (or KC version). Baja Designs only offers an SAE wide cornering light if I am reading their website and the vendors websites correctly. Is it redundant to have an S1 Cornering light and an SAE wide cornering light?

We're the ones with the bezel kit. The SAE is a essentially a wide cornering lens but is designed for on road use. The S1 wide cornering is not rated for on road use as it does not carry the SAE designation. But very similar light disperion between the two. A lot of folks are going with the amber S1 as amber light is ideal for weather such as rain, snow, fog, dust, etc.

Let us know if we can help!

888-466-8991 or online at OFFROADALLIANCE.COM

xoPaV2f.jpg

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Well sort of. We don't sell a bezel kit. Our kits are open with 3 lights so you get the most adjustability. But if you were going to run an S1 light that's basically acting like your "everyday use fog light" so you would not REALLY need SAE. You COULD add an SAE in another color though.

Say you went with a white S1 WC. That would work great for use on the roads (just gotta make sure it's aimed down). Then you could do an amber SAE light and use that during bad weather. You'd be "legal" with the SAE light whereas the S1 light would let you "fly under the radar" so to speak.

If you did an S1 and wanted that as your regular everyday use light (don't just get it and throw a cover over it, you want it to actually WORK as a light instead of being a christmas decoration) make sure you get pairs 2 and 3 to light up the roads for further down and really wide.

S1 WC for everyday use
Squadron Pro Driving/Combo
Squadron Pro WC

That would be a good setup, no ambers, but a good setup for whatever life throws at ya. Or go to a Squadron Pro WC Amber, so now you have your S1 WC for everyday use, the driving/combo lights up the road when you are alone and that pro WC amber would work for bad weather.

Check out our kits here, which offer the 3 options above I mentioned: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/2017-f...ght-kit-w-baja-designs-lights-build-your-kit/

fftfk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses @4x4TruckLEDs.com and @OffroadAlliance.com! Another question for you guys (and anyone else) - how are Amber lights best used? If you have a mix of clear and amber lenses/lights and run into bad weather...is it better to run the amber alone or can you use both amber and clear at the same time?

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You could run both, but the white light is going to reflect back a bit and hinder the performance. When it rains/snows here I ONLY run my Ambers. I've experimented with running both but the white light doesn't help much. If it's not SNOWING and there is just snow on the ground, the white light works VERY well as it reflects off the snow on the ground. BUT active snow and amber is better.

Rain tends to be better with ONLY amber, even if it's just on the ground and not currently raining, use ambers only.

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses @4x4TruckLEDs.com and @OffroadAlliance.com! Another question for you guys (and anyone else) - how are Amber lights best used? If you have a mix of clear and amber lenses/lights and run into bad weather...is it better to run the amber alone or can you use both amber and clear at the same time?

Amber is ideal for weather. Amber light cuts through dust, rain, snow, fog etc where white light will often reflect back.

Can you run both at the same time? Yes, but most states have a law stipulating only 4 lights on at a time. So headlights plus one set of fog lights. Also, if you're in bad weather, you'd want to just run the amber and your headlights.